584,826 active members*
5,080 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

WHEN..... should you install PP

Hi PP Gurus.

I am slow on computer/software stuff and have been holding back upgrading my two 1100's to PP until PP is well sorted. I don't want the hassle of early software bugs or frequent upgrades etc. And I wonder is the hardware is also about to upgrade ( I will need a upgrade kit for one machine, a whole new computer for the other, and freight cost to NZ is an additional factor )

When do you folk think would be a sensible time to make the move - in my situation.

Keen

Re: WHEN..... should you install PP

I ordered a Path Pilot controller for my Tormach yesterday for my Series II 1100 mill. The tech support person said there is a software update to the controller that is not installed but he said the current software on the controller is very stable and there is no immediate need to install the latest update. So according to Tormach anyway, tech support says it is pretty solid. I think it is okay to order now, that is my impression anyway.

I installed it when it became available, I had no problem other than the cd didnt want to eject from the drive. I have installed all the updates, I dont really know what they do or improve but the software worked fine from day one.

The soft limits are REALLY nice....
    I can hit feed hold and it stops immediately.
    The power went off yesterday, I just rehomed the machine, checked the center which was still right on within .001 and started it back up and it ran fine.
    It is has a simpler operating screen.

The best part is it hasnt made a miscue yet!!!!

I use Sprutcam 7, seems to work fine with its post processor.
    I can go do something else while the machine runs now, thats worth quite a bit alone........
    mike sr

Thanks for the replies so far. Two questions.

- What is involved in the software update procedure, and how long does it take?

- Is the hardware, ie the computer or the Mesa board etc, likely to upgraded soon?

Keen

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far. Two questions.

- What is involved in the software update procedure, and how long does it take?

- Is the hardware, ie the computer or the Mesa board etc, likely to upgraded soon?

Keen
    Updating PP requires downloading a file (the 1.7.2 update was about 12MB and the 1.6 update was slightly smaller), copying the file to a USB flash drive, inserting the drive into the PP machine, a few mouse clicks and a reboot. If you're reasonable quick with the fingers and have a decent internet connection it should take no more than 5 minutes.

It appears that the Mesa board firmware is updated when PP is installed but the update required no user intervention and took only a few seconds. I have no idea if a different hardware board is in the plans but I doubt it; users won't react well to having to replace a board only months after purchasing it. I have PP running on a several years old machine (not Tormach supplied).

Thanks kstrauss - Sounds like time to move. Cheers.

Full disclosure:
    I have been playing with PP since the release of the beta version and it looks very good but I am not using it for production. I consider support for a touch screen (preferably my current 3M one which works with Mach3) and support for a proper pendant (preferably my current VistaCNC unit) essential prior to daily usage. At a minimum, I think that Tormach should provide a list of touch screens and pendants that they consider supportable.

Thanks for that. I am using mouse control and the Tormach Shuttle controller... so non of that applies to me.... Can you see anything else ? Keen

Depending on how you generate your Gcode you may have compatibility issues. Subroutines must be at the top rather than the bottom of the code and the call/return syntax is different. I had a problem with one post generating G70/G71 instead of the G20/G21 accepted by PP. Also, PP insists on proper syntax.

OK Noted, thanks. That's just a matter of finding or adapting the post processor right? Keen

Yes, change the post and reprocess old files. Or modify some hand coded parts that use subroutines. I have a large number of files created in Vectric Cut2D with the G70 problem. It is trivial to change the existing file and it will then work with both Mach and PP. Unfortunately, adapting to the revised subroutine syntax is not backwards compatible so modified files will not work with Mach. In my case these files are produced by an Excel spreadsheet.

K Strauss,

Is there a problem installing a Vista imach3 pendant? For me that would be a show-stopper.

John,

My vista pendant wont work with PPilot, I am using the jog shuttle with it.

How is retirement going??
    mike sr

dual post...........................
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by JohnToner View Post
    K Strauss,

Is there a problem installing a Vista imach3 pendant? For me that would be a show-stopper.
    My VistaCNC iMach4-S pendant doesn't work with PP. Well, not quite true since the eStop button on the pendant is still functional! I complained to the folks at Vista and they "hope" to be able to work with PP but not even the vaguest promise of when. Tormach support people seem understanding but, again, absolutely no promise of doing anything. Since pendants with an LCD are the most complicated to interface and their support, presumably, requires Tormach to change things, they will probably be far in the future.

Mike,

No way I'm giving up my Vista. Well, after two months of retirement, I'm finally adjusting. I bought a new Corvette just to cheer myself up :-) That really got rid of the old retirement blues! I sprung for BobCad. I really like it, not because its so great, but because its the only CAD I've ever used so I don't know any better. The tutorial video was about as useful as boobs on a boar. So I printed out the text version and was able to get a design of my own as far as running a satisfactory simulation. I haven't figured how to set the software up for a Tormach 1100. BobCad's list of machines includes everything except the Tormach. If I have to buy a Post, there will be a nice BobCad appearing on Ebay!

John - I'm pretty sure (but not positive) that BobCAD will customise a post for you at no charge. Al Depaolo (sp?) has been helpful to others so you might seek him out in the BobCAD forum here, assuming that there is one.

Mike

Choosing a generic Mach3 or LinuxCNC/EMC post will likely work.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnToner View Post
    Mike,

No way I'm giving up my Vista. Well, after two months of retirement, I'm finally adjusting. I bought a new Corvette just to cheer myself up :-) That really got rid of the old retirement blues! I sprung for BobCad. I really like it, not because its so great, but because its the only CAD I've ever used so I don't know any better. The tutorial video was about as useful as boobs on a boar. So I printed out the text version and was able to get a design of my own as far as running a satisfactory simulation. I haven't figured how to set the software up for a Tormach 1100. BobCad's list of machines includes everything except the Tormach. If I have to buy a Post, there will be a nice BobCad appearing on Ebay!
    Im glad youre enjoying your retirement John.
    So far the Vista doesnt work with Pathpilot, Im sure it will in the future though.
    I never got much out of the videos on Sprutcam either, they go too fast for a beginner to be useful, I can follow them now but I am familiar as to where the buttons are and what they do.
    I have never used Bobcad, I draw in Rhino then export files to Sprutcam, after a bit over 3 years I am pretty comfortable with both, this old guy learns rather slowly ha!
    Im sure the new Vette will keep you rather busy as well, have fun and congratulations!
    mike sr

The "tutorials" do little more than demonstrate the presenter's knowledge.

Page 1 of 2 12