585,700 active members*
3,525 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > What steeper motor connecters for flood coolant?
Page 1 of 2 12

What steeper motor connecters for flood coolant?

Hi All
    I'm starting to think of maybe going to flood coolant. I'm looking for connecters for the steppers that are coolant proof. I found some water proof connecters but not sure they will stand up to coolants. Anyone got a link to good connecter set?
    Thanks
    CH

Re: What steeper motor connecters for flood coolant?

Use a stepper cover with the wire gland nut and not a connector within the flooded area. Use the connector at your BOB/Driver area keeping all electrical connections in the dry area.

Like these.

NEMA 23 Stepper Motor Back Cover Kit [SM-10] - US$13.49 : Homann Designs!, The preferred CNC Component Supplier

They are available thru a few vendors. There is a version with a watertight gland nut, not this 4 pin plug.

This is the 1 I would use in your situation.
    D.Y. Engineering - NEMA23 Cover IP64
    A lazy man does it twice.

Thanks but I have the 60mm 570oz motors on X and Y and the mic plugs aren't fluid proof. I may get one of the NEMA 34 end caps but man they are pricey, and the coolant will not be problem for the Z which has the NEMA 34 970oz motor. I have found a few inline fluid proof connecters but they don have a current rating on them and the pins are kind of small.
    Thanks CH
    PS I found on the web site, ones for the 60mm motors I have sent a request for the availability of them, as stated, they may not be on the product list any longer.
    C

Some reason the link didnt work. The Nema 23's cover does have a gland nut and not the mic plug. I have both. How you orient the motor will have an effect too.

I am using McMaster-Carr part number 9193T14, but I have not tested with flood coolant yet.

As important as the connector is limiting the amount of coolant getting to that area. Simple covers can work very well. You have to rely much less on the connector if it only gets an occasional splash rather than constant flow.
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Another added safety is angling your cables downward away from it's entry point into the motor if possible making a full loop(Drip Loop).

Quote Originally Posted by gcofieldd View Post
    I am using McMaster-Carr part number 9193T14, but I have not tested with flood coolant yet.
    Thanks, will look at these closer. What I have now is the molex (sp) white connecters that Automation Tech, sent when I got my steeper kit. They really are not good for this type of use. I had to tape up my connectors to keep swarf out of the connecters.
    I have not herd back from the link from up top so maybe they no longer stock the 60mm end caps.
    Thank all
    CH

The smart thing to do is don't put connectors in the "wet" area at all....

Regards,
    Ray L.

+1 Ray. That's how I went, the wires to the steppers are soldered with no connector at the motor on my mill. I run the cable through a plastic cable sheath and made a Delrin fitting that seals to the motor with silicone seal. I've been running flood for 2 years this way with no problems. I've not really had any issues with having hard wired steppers like this. I can easily detach the cable at my control box and remove the stepper for maintenance.

cheers,
    Michael
    Reelsmith, Angling Historian, and Author of "The Reelsmith's Primer"
    www.EclecticAngler.com | www.ReelLinesPress.com

Quote Originally Posted by mhackney View Post
    +1 Ray. That's how I went, the wires to the steppers are soldered with no connector at the motor on my mill. I run the cable through a plastic cable sheath and made a Delrin fitting that seals to the motor with silicone seal. I've been running flood for 2 years this way with no problems. I've not really had any issues with having hard wired steppers like this. I can easily detach the cable at my control box and remove the stepper for maintenance.

cheers,
    Michael
    Thanks All
    I don't have a problem with hard wired steepers if that is you choice. How ever my mill will be in an enclosure very much like Hoss's enclosure and removing the steppers and cable will be a hassle. I have my wires and cables in a cable run and every thing go's through the coolant proof cable run. Besides that if you damage a cable or you need to increase length, you have to remove steppers to reconnect, solder to and seal the connection again. I have found what I need thanks to a link in this thread, but thanks anyway.
    Thank you all for your input.
    CH

Let us know what you found. There's always more than one solution.

cheers,
    Michael
    Reelsmith, Angling Historian, and Author of "The Reelsmith's Primer"
    www.EclecticAngler.com | www.ReelLinesPress.com

Amazon.com: M14 IP68 Waterproof 4 Pins Electrical Cable Connector Plug Socket: Computers & Accessories
    This is what I'm ordering. They look like they should do the job. Thank all
    CH

Quote Originally Posted by COMachineist View Post
    Amazon.com: M14 IP68 Waterproof 4 Pins Electrical Cable Connector Plug Socket: Computers & Accessories
    This is what I'm ordering. They look like they should do the job. Thank all
    CH
    4 pins with a maximum diameter of 7.5mm? That's barely 1/4"! Those things are TINY, and probably rated for VERY low current.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    4 pins with a maximum diameter of 7.5mm? That's barely 1/4"! Those things are TINY, and probably rated for VERY low current.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Hi
    I guess I don't under stand your point Ray. The pins are larger than the motor wires. The size of the insulation around the pins is 100 times thicker than the insulation on the wires. I'm only running 3.9 amps at 48 volts which is not big power to speak of. What would be your concern?
    Thanks
    CH

I wonder if placing the connections as far out of harms\coolants way as constraints allow and then using these ... Weather Pack Terminals Seals Connectors Splices | Weatherpack | Sealed Electrical Connection | Weather Pack – Components and Tools | Weather Pack System ... with liberal amounts of silicone grease would do the trick.

They appear to be reasonably priced, a large variety of sizes and shapes so custom combinations for each axis might be possible and a current ratings of 20 amps would seem to be adequate.

Quote Originally Posted by arvidj View Post
    I wonder if placing the connections as far out of harms\coolants way as constraints allow and then using these ... Weather Pack Terminals Seals Connectors Splices | Weatherpack | Sealed Electrical Connection | Weather Pack – Components and Tools | Weather Pack System ... with liberal amounts of silicone grease would do the trick.

They appear to be reasonably priced, a large variety of sizes and shapes so custom combinations for each axis might be possible and a current ratings of 20 amps would seem to be adequate.
    Just dont forget to bring the shield thru too. Would take a 5 pin.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    Just dont forget to bring the shield thru too. Would take a 5 pin.
    There is no shield from the motor just 4 wires. the shield runs the length of the cable and goes to the controller ground plane( single point ground).
    CH

he means the plug is the wrong size
    maximum diameter of 7.5mm that will be the plug it self not the pins

also you need one that's chemical resisting aswell

you will need one like this one M14-5 IP67 IP68 5Pin Waterproof Connector Cable Plug Socket Butt-Type: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
    may be bigger
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

COM was right and I misunderstood. The shield would begin right after the plug and connect to the star ground in the controller. This would drain any noise. Sometimes connecting the shield at both ends causes issues. Though my understanding is that is the preferred way in the industry.

Page 1 of 2 12