584,865 active members*
4,881 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Weird Zeroing Problem

Hi All,

Having a strange problem that has me pulling hair, and I don't have enough to spare.

I have a spotting drill in my mach 3 tool table that I have used many times before. Today after zeroing my part with a probe, I started using that drill, but noticed it was going too low before the programmed z movement.

I double checked part zero, as well as the tool length against what was in the tool table, and everything was spot on.

I must have remeasured the tool length a dozen times, but every time I checked the z zero for that tool in the spindle it was low by roughly 40 thou. Went into the " what the heck is going on mode" then I remembered that tool was in the tool table twice with two different numbers, because of old projects. Both entries in the table had the exact same length, but when I selected the other tool number and checked the z zero against the part, it was perfect???

Is this maybe a corruption of the tool table data, or something else unusual?

If anyone has had similar experiences or has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Terry

Re: Weird Zeroing Problem

When you select the tool and press enter, is the z offset showing the same with each tool? Maybe it is the same in the tool table but somehow put some extra offset in somehow.

Hi,
    Yes when I put each tool number into the MDI, they both read the same Z? I can't see anything in the offsets anywhere to account for it. I guess I will just delete the data for that tool number from the table, and chalk it up to "stuff happens". LOL
    Thanks for the reply

Terry

Weird. I haven't used mine enough to know a whole lot about these quirks. I would do the same and like you said, chalk it up.