584,841 active members*
4,437 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Weird Rs232 issue/Mystery with Fanuc 6M on Mori Seiki . Calling all Fanuc Masters !

Weird Rs232 issue/Mystery with Fanuc 6M on Mori Seiki . Calling all Fanuc Masters !

I can not get programs into my machine. I've trouble shot the heck out of this thing. The wire is good, the computer is good, communicates with my Hitachi Seiki lathe. Also tried a computer that worked in the past and no dice. The dnc software works with the lathe also. Currently I put the dnc software in a ready to send mode, run to the machine turn the key and hit read. The machine sends over the signal to the computer and the program gets shot over. But the machine never receives it. I have been successful punching out programs also.

The most important things in this mystery currently are

1 that this started out with a Memory 101 error on the 6m, and that was fixed by startup holding reset and delete to clear the memory of programs. It will except manual data entry.
    2 It has been really hot here in so cal the last few weeks.
    3 Also I recently installed antivirus software on the computer, but after this problem removed it.
    4 The memory is aftermarket from a company called Memex in Ontario who have not been helpful except to tell me the board would not be under warranty.
    5 Also the lathe when I first started to communicate with that machine during this event gave me a Macro Lock signal and wouldn't recieve any programs, I changed program numbers and now that is fixed but is a sign that something may have changed.
    6 I tried slowing the baud rate down to 4800 and nothing
    7 I tried making a new wire and a shorter wire nothing

Please help this is killing me.

Re: Weird Rs232 issue/Mystery with Fanuc 6M on Mori Seiki . Calling all Fanuc Master

Hmm.. ERROR 101 means that memory is corrupted.

So you did delete all programs ? Did you remember also delete macros & hidden programs??
    I'm pretty sure that you still have some programs in memory.....
    There is parameter which shows all programs, also hidden & macros. Y can found parameter from yellow book.
    If you can read those macros, write them down. There might be some tool change macros etc.

Please also double check cable & rs programs. www.cadem,com y can find rs cable instuctions & free rs-pgm.

IF NOTHING HELPS:

i'm afraid that is not only memory but you have to change all.
    BEFORE YOU DO THAT PLESSE CONTACT FANUC PEOPLE.

Good Luck

GB

Re: Weird Rs232 issue/Mystery with Fanuc 6M on Mori Seiki . Calling all Fanuc Master

I've spoke to Fanuc. They were not much help.I can punch out programs and not read them. This is weird. The stuff I read about parameters, they all pan out OK. The info about program numbers in the 8000-9000 range might be the problem. I recently started using the date as my program numbers. So as of August and September my program numbers have been 9221 or 9231 as the month date and program numeral. I wonder if this has something to do with it? I wonder if Al the man might know ?

You may have a hardware problem on the motherboard; most likely the receive chip. Can you receive tool offsets or parameters?

cant recall which is which, but close to the port on the master board are two chips- ending with 188/189...they send/receive, if one goes it might send OR receive, but not both- often too though its not just the send/receive channels but the DTR/CTS/RTS use in/out from the same two chips... radioshack used to sell them for .89 cents, but if you swap them, suggest spending the extra buck for sockets every time we blew a port, it happened in winter when humidity was low... simply touching the cabinet before plugging into the port will usually prevent damage from static discharge. radio shack also used to sell little plugs with leds to show status of signals so you can 'see' whats missing...

Quote Originally Posted by memoryman View Post
    You may have a hardware problem on the motherboard; most likely the receive chip. Can you receive tool offsets or parameters?
    oops, saw the ad, didnt scroll down to read this first

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Nevada View Post
    I've spoke to Fanuc. They were not much help.I can punch out programs and not read them. This is weird. The stuff I read about parameters, they all pan out OK. The info about program numbers in the 8000-9000 range might be the problem. I recently started using the date as my program numbers. So as of August and September my program numbers have been 9221 or 9231 as the month date and program numeral. I wonder if this has something to do with it? I wonder if Al the man might know ?
    I do know that the 8xxx / 9xxx numbers are a protected area,
    - access is usually controlled by a parameter, these are where macros etc that control the way the machine operates. These can be for toolchange(M6), auto-probing cycles.
    You don't want these to be overwritten or accidently edited

Suggest you try lower program numbers
    - I find too many programs in the control can lead to errors
    - place a comment on the same line as the Oxxxx, it may help identify the program when you list DIR, without opening it in the editor. ie O4000 ( ABC123, 3/4 UNC SPIGOT );

OK, so we replaced the punch reader card and Viola it's fixed! Thanks for the Replies. On a side note, anyone know why I can not run sub programs. I've tried to run them and can not.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Nevada View Post
    OK, so we replaced the punch reader card and Viola it's fixed! Thanks for the Replies. On a side note, anyone know why I can not run sub programs. I've tried to run them and can not.
    What happens? Do you get an alarm when you try to run a sub? If so, what alarm?

What does your sub call block look like?