584,846 active members*
4,350 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

VSD-E disable and recovery

This is a cross post, as is also posted in router section, anyone who can please remove it from that section, as this one is more appropriate.

I have the vsd-e drives from granite devices. I have the motors moving fine, but have some issues with the other functions.

I want to set up Opto-in 4 for disable / clear fault, but i cannot make the input change state.
    If I put it in non-inverted, the drive is always enabled. Even if i jumper the 5V output to this, it is still enabled. I am unable to disable the drive.
    If i put it in inverted, it is always disabled. This is how i plan to run the drive, but If i put it in this configuration, I cannot enable it.

Also, I am unsure how to disable the Error recovery function. The last thing I want to happen after a fault, is the motor to move. Anyone know how to disable this? I set the velocity limit for error recovery all the way down to 1, but this can't be the correct way. It still moves, just very slow.

Additional information: If I apply 5V to Opto-In 4 while connected to gdtool, I get a communication error, I believe this is due to the shared function of pin 9 (opto-in 4), however, I would think that this would apply in spi mode, where I am using pwm. Not sure.

The disable signal in opto-in 4 should work. Please check:
    1. Drive doesn't go into SPI mode: make sure input mode is not set to "Force SPI" (GDtool->General settings).
    2. USB cable is not plugged when powering up
    3. There is 3-5V applied between IO_COM and IN4. Connecting one jumper from 5V alone won't work, IO_COM would need to be connected to GND.

There is an alternative firmware for VSD-E/XE-160 that disables error recovery move. Please find attached firmware file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Ok, I had the cable plugged in when trying the disable function, without it, disable works just fine.

I have one more question. When trying to tune the axis, with the following error limit set very high to avoid following error limits, and the gains set low to avoid overcurrent errors, the output just drops off, following error increases, however, no corrective action is taken.

Attached is a plot of this. There is no error or fault from the drive.

The graph looks a bit weird. Can you post your GDtool saved settings file for checking?

About overcurrents: they never happen when drive is properly tuned (proper torque PI gains and fault current limit is set to 2-5A higher than peak current).

Attached is the settings file. This is what is used to create the graph I posted. It doesn't cause any errors / faults. And if the drive doesn't get disabled and re-enabled, it will run in the opposite direction (as can be seen in the plot), but will not run in the forward direction after that drop in velocity occurs. If the drive is disabled and re-enabled, it will then run in that forward (problematic) direction. Thanks for all the help.

Thank you. There is at least one problem: Current fault limit is only 10mA higher than your peak current setting, so no wonder you easily get overcurrent faults. Try setting fault limit to at least 13000mA.

If this doesn't solve the problem, then please also do set of step tests while one or more of following additional signals are selected:
    -Torque target value
    -Torque achieved value
    -Output voltage amplitude

This will help seeing what drive does during the odd behavior.

I do not get overcurrent faults.
    I don't get faults.

The max limit i believe is 10A (10000mA). I can lower the peak, but I never see the overcurrent fault.

I will try to re-run with the signals you suggest.

attached are a couple of plots.
    one is with the torques, and you cannot see the velocity (scaling), so the other shows just the velocity.

From what i can tell, i am achieving the torque commanded, but no speed results (i need more torque). The question I have is why does the drive only command the continuous torque and not venture into the peak torque area to get the axis moving?

Ok, it's a bit clearer now.

The error is probably either in "motor settings" page or motor wiring. Did you run "Test motor configuration"?

BTW, it's always better to use AC servo mode rather than BLDC. AC runs smoother on BLDC motors, too.

I did run test motor configuration, and if i remember correctly, it said that the encoder counts were correct for a 4 pole motor, however, the motor I have says 3 pole pairs, which lead me to choose 6 poles. the current limits were taken from the motor makers information (3.89A continuous / 15A peak), as well as the thermal time constant (660s). The top speed of the motor seems correct, as well as the current demand on the plot for those numbers. Maybe I should try the 4 poles like it said.

Ok,

Here is another test to see if motor config is correct:
    1. Disconnect motor shaft from load
    2. Set drive in torque mode
    3. Once set, motor shaft should be easy to rotate, like there was no power
    4. Go to event log and enter moveabs 10000. This gives a torque command.
    5. Motor should start spinning fast. If it doesn't something is wrong (test if motor shaft feels locked and tell me if that happens).

Please let me know the results.

ok,
    I ran the motor test, both on ac and bldc, and both ways it tells me it found 2170 which is correct for a 4 pole motor. I then ran the moveabs command with both 4 pole and 6 pole setting. On the 4 pole setting, the motor started to move and then locked. With a 6 pole setting, the motor spun up to a very high speed. So, I believe the motor is ok with the 6 pole setting, even though the test configuration seems to think 4 poles is correct.

I did some more tests, with some different gains and current limits. Attached are a couple of these plots. Maybe they will provide some insight. Both are from the 6 pole setting.

The motor test can't detect pole count so it assumes 4 poles. If it spins infinitely with 6 pole settings, then the settings & wiring are correct.

I assume the torque_and_voltage plots is done in torque mode but I couldn't figure what settings/mode did you use on the first plot. Plots however look normal. It is normal that achieved torque starts lagging target torque when output voltage is near supply voltage limit.

Have you tried tuning position mode directly?

Torque and voltage plot were done in torque mode, the one with following error is done in velocity mode.

So, from your last post, I think that you are saying that there is nothing that can be done to get more peak torque from the motor, correct? The voltage is already at 150VDC, I could go to 160VDC, but that's not going to get close as it looks like I am at about 1/2 of peak right now.

I am going to try to tune in position mode now, as you suggest.

I tuned in position mode and hooked everything up to the load, and it doesn't move. So i changed to velocity mode, same thing.

The odd thing is, if it's in torque mode, it will move for 2-3 seconds, then if i remove the input and re-apply it, it will start moving again. I can move the entire axis in short bursts of 2-3 seconds, but not all in one continuous move.

I thought this might be from the motor thermal constant, but that is set to 660s.

It should take less than this to move the entire length of the axis in torque mode, assuming it would continue moving.

If you disconnect motor shaft and let it spin in torque mode, does it stop or slow down eventually (in few minutes or so)?

The stopping in 2-3 secs sounds strongly like motor is losing torque after rotating certain amount. That happens with BLDC & AC motors caused by following resons:

* Encoder PPR setting is not exactly matching the line count of encoder (btw, don't use the value from motor test, use value from encoder specifications).
    * Encoder signal is having noise or bad clarity (or wired wrong) so drive sees little bit different amount of counts per revolution than encoder actually has.
    * Pole count setting is not matching motor, but I think this is not the case in this

I looked your .drc config again and here is one thing to try: I suggest you put drive in AC mode and set "AC phasing current" to at least 4A. That may make a difference. Also try disabling "use hall sensors".

I did these things, and in torque mode, the motor now easily lifts the load, but when put in velocity or position mode, it still stops after about a couple of seconds. I looked at the graph and the torque demanded drops to the continuous rated torque of the motor after only a second. The motor is not hot, and everything seems fine, but the drive just demands less torque? I don't understand why this would be, or how to fix it.

The peak current output is limited to a second (to avoid overheating drive) and after that continuous current will be used as limit. So is the fault that motor doesn't have enough torque to move at continuous rating? If so, you may then need a reduction gear, a higher torque motor or higher continuous current.

Re: VSD-E disable and recovery

Quote Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
    The disable signal in opto-in 4 should work. Please check:
    1. Drive doesn't go into SPI mode: make sure input mode is not set to "Force SPI" (GDtool->General settings).
    2. USB cable is not plugged when powering up
    3. There is 3-5V applied between IO_COM and IN4. Connecting one jumper from 5V alone won't work, IO_COM would need to be connected to GND.

There is an alternative firmware for VSD-E/XE-160 that disables error recovery move. Please find attached firmware file.
    Is this still the best firmware for disabling error recovery mode?
    Can someone please link me to/tell me how to upgrade the firmware?

cheers