585,708 active members*
3,850 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > VM16 Centurion 6 z axis 409, 449 fault

VM16 Centurion 6 z axis 409, 449 fault

I recently purchased this machine and replaced z axis motor complete with wire harness from Milltronics. The old unit was bad. Since I have replaced unit I have only run machine a few hours.

I power up machine and reset drives, home machine everything ok.

I can run machine with no faults.

If I let machine set idle for some time with drives enabled when I start moving machine the z axis starts oscillating up & down about 1" - 1-1/2" then faults out LS/ECB light comes on.

I blocked head & removed belt. I e-stopped tried turning motor shaft (Can't turn brake is working). Reset drives and tried turning motor shaft (With a little turning motion the motor starts oscillating then 449 fault).

If I power down machine and power back on the same thing happens.

If I wait for sometime (2 -3 hours) and power back on everything seems ok until it sets idle for 2 - 3 hours with drives enabled.

This has got me puzzled.

Any ideas as where to start?

try reseating all your connections first and wiggling your cables to see if it helps or worsens your problem.

First, re-check all the connections and re-seat all the cards and connectors. Then swap the Z drive for the Y drive and try it. This might help determine if the problem is the new motor/cable or the drive. This almost sounds like something is getting hot and works again after it cools down.

If the problem stays with Z, swap the Z and Y axis acroloop cards, change the jumpers, and try again.

Report back with what you find.

He shouldn't have acroloop cards, cent 6 right?

That right I don't have acroloop cards. The control has had the single board upgrade.

I have done a little more trouble shooting trying every ones suggestions, but still same problem.
    I was checking the temp on different components and found that the area around the z- axis motor leads on the Glentek servo drive (The black & yellow caps & diodes) was getting very hot 180-200 degrees, the other drives was 70-80 degrees, while machine sat idle with drives enabled. After a couple of hours setting idle the z- axis 449 faulted. I shut down machine and monitored the hot area and it slowly dropped to ambient temp.

So I called Milltronics today and spoke with Brian (They are great people!!) I told him my issue. He said for me to block head and remove belt from pulleys. Turn on machine and reset drives and let machine set idle again for 2 hours then see if axis faults (It did not) then hand wheeled motor slowly then rapid to see if will fault (It did not). Brian suggested that the probable cause is a binding ballscrew nut. The previous owner had the ballscrew changed in June of last year. Maybe they got the alignment between ballscrew nut & head off a little if possible.

Has anyone done a ballscrew replacement? Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated!

An update to this issue. I removed the motor from column and further inspected the z axis ball screw which Brian at Milltronics said was the possible problem. This ball screw was changed June of last year. Just because someone said that a part was changed doesn't mean that it was the correct one or was done right which is the case of the z axis ball screw. What I found was that the lower support housing is there but the bearing is not there and looks like the ball screw is to long to accommodate a bearing. Screw threads project down beyond support housing. The top bearing is taking all the load and causing a binding issue. Correct me if I am wrong. Going to call Milltronics Monday to price a new ball screw $$$$$??

I'm sorry, I completely missed the Cent6 reference.

I agree that Brian and the rest of the Milltronics tech support guys are a great help. I have worked very closely with them for a long time and rarely are they stumped.

I don't know if it was the same Brian that was here in my shop last week but he was terrific.

In alot of cases I can provide replacment ball screws and othe parts options.
    As alway PM me with any questions.
    Sportybob

Quote Originally Posted by sportybob View Post
    In alot of cases I can provide replacment ball screws and othe parts options.
    As alway PM me with any questions.
    Sportybob
    Good morning. Milltronics Partner 1 H series machine, serial number 3070, year of production 1998. Damaged X-axis motor - damaged stator magnets. Motor control using Glentek GA370-3 series 50204062 board. No motor name or number. I need the number and name of the engine working on the X axis - maybe you have access to used - new parts. Regards.