585,973 active members*
4,138 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > V-Carving (Bobart V25 )

V-Carving (Bobart V25 )

I have been working on a vector to use in a v-carving. I am getting it done but one part is not helping. I have re made and deleted lines until I am getting what I want.
    The picture I have attached shows the problem. It should be one pocket. It is one vector. I keep having an island on one side and cannot figure out why. I have also
    attached the Bobart file. If anyone can look and see what I am doing wrong. I have this almost ready.

Thank You
    Don
    The time has come the woodworker said to speak of many things. 0f routers and Wood , chips and paints and stains and CNC and other things.

Re: V-Carving (Bobart V25 )

The fastest way is to run your "arc fit " command on your geometry.
    Now re-select the geometry and compute.

I am not saying this is the best way,it is the fastest way.The best way will depend on how good of geometry is good enough to your eye appeal.If you want/need absolute perfect curves and everything blended perfectly it could get quite involved re-drawing everything.Re-drawing everything would use many different features and tricks.In this case,the smaller the scale of the model,the least likely you will be able to see the deviations and defects in the geometry.The larger the scale the more noticeable things become.You have to be the judge at how good is good enough.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails arc fit.jpg   re-compute.jpg  

Just as an FYI, you want to absolutely minimize the places where you use the V-bit to pocket. The simplest way to minimize it is to use a V-bit with a much less acute angle. I have 90, 60, and 45deg V-bits, and consider the 45deg one to be too "sharp" for all but the finest small work. The 30deg V-bit you have there is actually working against you. In general, if I can avoid pocketing at all, I do. It looks better when you can.

The other way takes a little manual work, because the wizard doesn't allow for 2 sizes of pocketing tool, but it's generally worth the effort. It's often a lot faster to do a tool change and use a smaller endmill to get up in places like the ends of that cut, rather than use the V-bit with its extremely small stepover. That involves completing the cut as you're doing, but stopping when the V-bit starts its pocketing section. Then dropping some lines across the cut geometry and isolating the ends, and re-doing the Vcarve toolpath, specifying the smaller endmill. With a little practice, you'll be able to merge the gcode into one file and insert a toolchange pause, but at first, it can be easier to just stop the system and switch files when needed.

I wouldn't try any of that right now, to be honest. As you're learning, just make note of the things like long pocketing sections, and plan out how to avoid them. You soon get a feel for what works, and which tool is best suited for which job.

Luke
    "All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base" -- Lou Costello

jrmach your suggestion worked great. I had to play with the tolerance setting but it did work. trotline I will run it with different V-Bits to see how it looks. I did switch to a smaller downspiral bit 1/8 for the pocketing. It is starting to look good . I think I am ready for a test cut. It looks like about 1/2 hour to cut. I was running at much higher speeds but I think I am going to slow down and work my way up. I did have it at 3 minutes LoL I will use mdf for a practice run.

Thank You
    Don
    The time has come the woodworker said to speak of many things. 0f routers and Wood , chips and paints and stains and CNC and other things.