585,775 active members*
3,920 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Using multiple probes on OSP 200

Using multiple probes on OSP 200

I am needing to use 2 different Renishaw probes on a MA 600 with an OSP 200 using the Renishaw macros. Is there anything I need to do special to have this work? Thanks in advance.

Re: Using multiple probes on OSP 200

You may have problems
    - when you setup & calibrate the probes, the quadrant point offsets (for the ruby) are stored in one particular area ( #305-308 seems to ring a bell)

so it may be impossible to have 2 probes calibrated at the same time
    - You may have to direct the question directly to Okuma

I was wondering about where that info was stored. I will get with Okuma. We do have a Mazak that is running 3 probes at this time but I know that is a totally different controller. The programmer of that machine thought it would just be the calibration macro that needed modifying. I didn't know. Thanks for the reply sir!

We run two probes (Renishaw OMP60's originally we used OMP10's) on our MA600HB E100M and I had to program the exchange of calibration information and also tool length qualification (tool Offset values) in order to use the Okuma built in probing routines.
    I use this code VSTOH[5]=VTOFH[VTLCN] (SET PROBE LENGTH INTO SYSTEM) to set the tool length from the tool length offset page into the system variable used during the probing routine.
    VSTOH[5] is the system variable that stores the tool length for the probe.
    VTLCN is the active tool number.
    VTOFH is accessing the tool length offset, so combining them gives you the tool length offset for the active tool in the spindle.
    But looking through the rest of my code and thinking about the second probe in our system, we only use the second probe for Z axis probing, NO probing on X or Y as this probe is used to check a face on our pallets to calculate the pallet ID that is used in our automation process.

Looking through other documentation, the system variables shown on the MSB Zero page for VSZO*[3] are used to hold the X and Y values for the probe ball.
    So... you should be able to calibrate the probe and then record the values.
    Then program the values before using the designated probe by programming thus:
    VSZO*[3]=XXX.XXX
    Where * is substituted for the axis name and the value you recorded before is used in place of the XXX.XXX
    Hope this makes sense...?
    Regards
    Brian.

I got with Okuma and Renishaw. They had me write to common variables when I calibrated and then depending on the current probe load those into the system variables for the correct probe. I am not well versed in this so it took me awhile to understand what they were telling me but I got it. I was told to put a rough length in the tool page before running the cal program which did set the tool length first. I was looking at the VSTOD[?] variables. can't remember exactly the numbers seemed like 21-24 for straight X and Y and then 26-31 for the vectors. Thanks for the help guys.

Oh ya they said the mp10 won't work with the receiver for the OMP60.