585,768 active members*
4,109 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > using 4th axis or rotory indexer

using 4th axis or rotory indexer

I have seen some video's of turning a piece so it can be carved around. My question is do you need 4th axis for this. I see it looks like it is using 3. I to turn and Z axis and Y axis. In the video I think X is turned off and used as A axis. So if you only need 3 axis to carve a table leg or cane then what do you use the 4th axis for. I hope this makes sense.

Thank You
    Don
    The time has come the woodworker said to speak of many things. 0f routers and Wood , chips and paints and stains and CNC and other things.

Re: using 4th axis or rotory indexer

A lot depends on the piece being cut. For something like a furniture leg, many times the stock can simply be turned in a fixture, (say 90deg.), in between machining operations. That's called "Indexing" whether it's done manually in a fixture, or by command with a rotary axis.

If it's something like a carved head, then you'd need a rotary axis for sure. Swapping out the X-axis for a rotary axis is possible if the axis of rotation can be parallel to the Y axis, or vice versa.. (You'll also need to lock down the unused axis, to keep it from moving). Then you'll need 4th Axis CAM, for "wrapping" the x-axis moves around cylindrical stock.

Basically, Making a fixture and rotating the stock by hand, in cases where that's possible, is far simpler and cheaper than setting up for 4th-axis rotary work. For really complex work, though, the cost and trouble are necessary. The work to be done is what drives the selection of process.

Luke
    "All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base" -- Lou Costello

Gallchobhair,

4th Axis standard is wrapping, indexing, and a 3D wrapping which is our rotary tool path. Depending on the needs of the company, this may be all that is required. In your case of the table leg, simultaneous may be overkill for the geometry if its a simple shape. If the shape requires all 4 of the axes need to move in conjunction with each other, then this would be what would require simultaneous. Our 4axis Standard does 3+1 machining, meaning only 3 axis can be running at the same time.

I was looking at this Video I thought I would make this. It does not look to difficult. I have Bobcad-Art ver 25 standard. I do not have a 4th axis so I would need to get something that does 4th axis. I cannot afford the upgrades to Bobcad V26 4th axis. I am retired and on SS. I am a hobbyist. I will have to keep this in mind and start looking around. Thank you for your time and answers. If trotline builds the hull I'll go sailing LOL.

Thank You
    Don
    The time has come the woodworker said to speak of many things. 0f routers and Wood , chips and paints and stains and CNC and other things.