584,849 active members*
3,977 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Used Hurricane Laser "Ivan" worth the risk?

Hello All,

I am in need of a laser cutter and have found a used Hurricane Laser "ivan" tht looks essentially new. It also comes with a chiller. Downside is it was acquired durring a warehouse foreclosure, so its just the laser and the chiller so no software or drivers. They are asking 2K which is super tempting. I know my way around linear motion components so am sure I could repair any mechanical issues that arrise since there will likely be no support with the closure of the company. My question is, If I buy it, what are my options software wise to interface with it. Also if there are any "Ivan" owners on here can they send me some tip on possible powering it up and maybe running a home routine and a test fire? Is there a way to access the DSP and read how man hours are on the tube?

Any help would be appreciated.

Marc

G.Weike was the actual manufacture for many of the Hurricane Lasers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearhawk LSA View Post
    Hello All,

I am in need of a laser cutter and have found a used Hurricane Laser "ivan" tht looks essentially new. It also comes with a chiller. Downside is it was acquired durring a warehouse foreclosure, so its just the laser and the chiller so no software or drivers. They are asking 2K which is super tempting. I know my way around linear motion components so am sure I could repair any mechanical issues that arrise since there will likely be no support with the closure of the company. My question is, If I buy it, what are my options software wise to interface with it. Also if there are any "Ivan" owners on here can they send me some tip on possible powering it up and maybe running a home routine and a test fire? Is there a way to access the DSP and read how man hours are on the tube?

Marc
    Marc,

G.Weike was the actual manufacture for many of the Hurricane Lasers, hopefully they will provide access in order to download the software, manuals etc...

http://www.wklaser.com/pro_191.aspx

See attached pdf for a manual that may get you started.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Re: Used Hurricane Laser "Ivan" worth the risk?

Hello All,

Marc
    Hello Marc
    This is Nolan from thunderlaser, hope my answer can help you.
    I think used machine is not a good choice.
    Can you tell me the size of the machine?
    There is no software or driver with the machine, so you don’t know whether it can work or how long it can work.
    Usually, you can find and download the software on your laser machine website. When you download the software, I can send some files to you to test it.
    About the laser tube, can you tell me the power of your laser tube?
    And our website and facebook page also have many videos, maybe they can help you to solve something.

Re: Used Hurricane Laser "Ivan" worth the risk?

Is there a way to access the DSP and read how man hours are on the tube?

Marc
    Hi Marc
    Usually there's a Label with "ex-factory date" on tube,
    then you can judge how long did the tube last?

or you can buy/rent a power meter to test the tube's really out put power,
    then you can judge if it is able to finish your job.

by the way, is the "Ivan" laser in USA?
    if yes, then you can save much money indeed,

hope you can choose a best machine
    to fit your jobs. :cheers:
    www.thunderlaser.com