586,009 active members*
4,921 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Unlock 9000 programs on Fanuc 6m (Parameter 168 set, but machine builder has no idea)

Unlock 9000 programs on Fanuc 6m (Parameter 168 set, but machine builder has no idea)

I have a Shizuoka B-3V bed mill, and the factory was very helpful in getting it running again, but I am having some issues with toolchange and suspect it has to do with the 9000 macros. Their response to what they might have set the code to was, somewhat humorously:

This machine was a quite old thing, and the human being who knew those days decreased.
    So now I need to figure out what hoops I need to jump through to find out what they set the 9000-9899 protect code to.

Alternatively, maybe if there is a "human being who knew those days" I can get my original problem solved.

I have the Fanuc factory manuals (Maintenance, Parameter and Operator) and Shizuoka was kind enough to send me a scanned copy of the manufacturer's manual.

I have a single-arm 20 tool carousel tool changer. Everything works both manually and automatically, except I can't seem to get it know what "Tool 1" is. The factory manual (in rather cryptic "engrish") states that there is a "ADDRESS MEMORY" switch which is used to set the first tool.

My ATC control panel is missing this button

Right now, if I issue a T01 M06, instead of grabbing tool 1, it will grab the next tool in the carousel (regardless of what tool I'm currently at). (Interestingly enough, if I say T02, it grabs a tool 2 tools over, T03 skips a couple and grabs the 3rd)

The factory manual states: (And you'll have to bear with the interesting wording)

8) Address Memory Switch
    This switch is used to input tool pot number to computer memory.
    By pushing this switch ATC magazine is turned to CW side till reaching
    its Home Position (Tool pot number NO,1).
    If Magazine was located at Home position, by pushing this switch
    computer was setted pod address immediately.
    The lamp in Address memory Switch was lighted up, when all address
    memory operation was finish and computer was automatically setted first
    tool to the spindle is NO,1 tool.
    Please make sure this operation is indispensable before Cycle Start.
    Any advise on either of the two fronts would be priceless and greatly appreciated

The memory set they speak of is likely the memory access bit which can be set in MDI mode when accessing the parameters list. Then find the line where your tool pod numbers are stored and set the first position to the same number reported by the display whenyou look up the position encoder and the changer is in position one.
    Sounds like you may also have a bad position encoder! :-)

Thats plausible, I checked for a position encoder (and alternately for an indexing switch) but after tearing everything apart, as far as I could tell, there was no such beast on this system.

So do you know what fanuc would name the diagnosis parameter that would report the position? I see:

DGNS parameters that seem to be related to toolchanging (from the maintenance manual)

para 002, bit 3 = T function code read
    para 007, bits 0-3 = 1st digit of T code, bits 4-7 = 2nd digit of T code
    para 010, bit 4 = Tool change, bit 5 = New tool select
    para 011, bits 0-3 = 3rd digit of T code, bits 4-7 = 4th digit of T code
    para 044, bits 0-2 = tool group number TL16-TL64 (I'm guessing this is related to the tool wear stuff)
    para 046, bits 0-3 = tool group number TL01-TL08, bit 5 = Tool reset, bit 7 = tool skip

(Then somewhat confusingly, it has the same set again at a higher parameter numbers)
    para 066, bit 3 = T function code read
    para 071, bits 0-3 = 1st digit of T code, bits 4-7 = 2nd digit of T code
    para 074, bit 4 = Tool change, bit 5 = New tool select
    para 075, bits 0-3 = 3rd digit of T code, bits 4-7 = 4th digit of T code
    para 110, bits 0-3 = tool group number TL01-TL08, bit 5 = Tool reset, bit 7 = tool skip
    para 120, bits 0-2 = tool group number TL16-TL64

In the wiring diagram it shows that the honda cables marked C03 and C12 has a T function BCD code (Doesn't clearly state whether its input or output)

Ok, here's what I'm seeing.

Starting at pod 1, parameter 7 and 71 are 00000000.

If I manually command T2,M6 in MDI, parameter 7 and parameter 71 changes to 00000010, and the tool changer inserts the current tool into the current spot, moves
    2 pods over (pod 3) and grabs that tool.

If I run it again (T2M6), parameter 7 and 71 stay at 00000010, the toolchanger inserts the current tool into the current spot (pod 3), indexes over 2 more tools (to pod 5) and grabs that tool.

So I guess going down this track, my question would be... where would a tool carousel position encoder wire into a fanuc 6mb system? I don't really have an issue with writing my own toolchange macro as I won't have access to the factory macro unless someone knows how to break into it. The factory which built this system has been really friendly and helpful, but unfortunately they didn't keep records that old so they couldn't help me.

We are from Ngoc Quy Mold Co,. Ltd in Vietnam, we are using some CNC FANUC 6M series and we would need maintenance instruction of the machine

Can you provide us this materials? We really appreciate your support

Have a nice day

With my best regards,

- - - Updated - - -

We are from Ngoc Quy Mold Co,. Ltd in Vietnam, we are using some CNC FANUC 6M series and we would need maintenance instruction of the machine

Have a nice day

With my best regards

mail:[email protected]

the tool changer works so check to see if your machine has macro A or macro B. if not you definitely dont need macros.

probably the tool finding logic is messed up.
    find the encoder, disconnect it, rotate it and reconnect it. if it makes any difference, with some trial and error you can find the correct position and the machine may just keep working.

also, inside your ATC control box do you see extra unconnected wires? maybe you just need to add a switch if the connections are there.

Re: Unlock 9000 programs on Fanuc 6m (Parameter 168 set, but machine builder has no i

Have a nice day

With my best regards

Mail:[email protected]