584,842 active members*
4,583 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cool unloading a lathe

I'm in the happy position of having a 10x42 Logan Lathe on the back of flatbed. The bed's about 40" of the ground. There is a ramp at back of bed, but it doesn't reach the ground.

I have jacks and an assortment of blocks. What's the correct way to get it off the truck without anybody or anything getting injured?

With a crane or forklift.

Seriously, that's a lot of weight to be messing around with. Better safe than sorry.

Re: unloading a lathe

Thansk for the advice. I'll find some equipment tomorrow.

If you have to ask that question, my advice would be to leave it on the truck with a for sale sign.

That sort of 'secret knowledge' attitude probably once had a purpose, when there was fierce competition for every skilled job and keeping shop knowledge secret might save one's family from starvation. It's one of the great delights of being alive right now that the maker's movement, and society in general, are consigning it to the dustbin of history. I'll prefer a world where anyone can own a lathe, not just some secret cult of cognoscente. Fortunately the 3D printer seems to have caught the public's imagination, and 'making' is cool now. The last time I saw someone running a lathe, it was a tiny woman who's about 90 lbs dripping wet, and a good machinist - she was turning NEF internal threads as part of an injection mold for an antenna.

The most eloquent rebuttal to 'if you have to ask, forget it' is the lathe itself. Whoever last used the lathe was obviously a competent machinist, from the well worn but carefully maintained tooling that came with it.
    But it also came with a badly smashed handwheel, loose in the tooling box. The 'spinner' on the handle is bent flat, so I'd guess it was damaged while transporting the lathe. So, somewhere in the chain of apparently competent hands this lathe has passed through, somebody managed to damage a handwheel. Caution seems wise, and asking for advice only prudent. That safety is involved makes it more so.

As it turned out my helper brought 4 guys with him, so we just did it by the 'many hands make light work' method.