585,733 active members*
4,968 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Turning spindle on reboots computer

Hi,

I have a YCM-40 with Centroid control that was turned off for about a month. When I first turned it on, I was getting the "full power no motion error."
    That issue resolved itself after turning machine on and off a few times. Now when I try to start the spindle the computer reboots. Any suggestions as
    to what causes this? I really need to get this machine running. I am running on a phase converter if that matters.

Thank you,
    Scott

Re: Turning spindle on reboots computer

Sounds like you are getting a momentary dip in the controller voltage, is the 1ph supply for the control fed off of the generated phase instead of the 240v 1ph pair?, That sounds like a typical symptom of it.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Al,

The generated phase is on L1 as it should be. While the machine was left powered on I turned off the computer and plugged it into an
    extension cord to see if this would solve the problem. Same result. I did however just notice that even with the computer plugged into separate
    110 power source that when my air compressor kicks on it also reboots. Could it be a weak power supply in the computer or is the controller
    causing the reboot? If it is the controller would it be something to do with one of the RTK boards? How much of a power dip would it take to affect it? I have checked the power when I turn on the spindle and line in drops ~3-4volts.

Thank you,
    Scott

If you are using a ordinary meter it may not be fast enough to catch the actual low value.
    But it does sound like either the supply is dipping or there a supply sensitive to spikes.
    Is there a 120v source that is not supplying the rest and has a relatively unloaded connection direct back to the panel?
    Al.

Albert E.

It does sound like an overly-sensitive (i.e. failing) power supply. Connecting to a more stable AC source should help, but ideally you want to replace the supply.

Is your control an M40/M50 (black console, originally with CRT display above the jog panel)? Or is it an M400 (blue or gray console with LCD display left of the jog panel)?

If M40/M50, you have an AT-style PC in the cabinet, and would need to find an AT power supply. Those may be getting a little hard to find these days.

If M400, you probably have a MeanWell D60A switching power supply inside the console. That is easy enough to replace.

Is your spindle controlled with an inverter (VFD), or with reversing contactors?

CNC,

Yes I have the PC in the cabinet. Sorry if I wasn't clear but that is the computer I am talking about. It has an Enlight 200w switching power supply that is proving to be hard to find. What exactly does the switching part
    mean? Do you know of any other brands that I could look for? It also has reversing contacts for the spindle.

Thank you,
    Scott

Basically two types of supply, linear and SMPS, switch mode power supply. the SMPS has a high frequency switching circuit which it converts the incoming power to more efficient regulated means of DC.
    They are lighter and slightly more efficient than linear, but not as rugged.
    There should be other makes available if you know the different voltages required.
    But if it has extra circuit for the spindle, if this cannot be reproduced then it may mean you need the original make.
    Al.

Albert E.

In this case, the power supply is an AT-type computer power supply. Any brand will do, as long as it is a standard AT-format supply.

For example, see GP-4200PB: JAMECO VALUEPRO: Computer Products
    or SPI-300G-B(NO PLUG): SPARKLE POWER INC.: Computer Products

The reasons I asked about spindle control are:
    1) If you have reversing contactors, and you no longer have working surge suppressors across the contactor coils, then you might have inductive spikes affecting the AC supply. However, that is more likely to be an issue when you turn the spindle off, rather than when you turn it on.
    2) If you had an inverter for spindle control, and you were not using a 3-phase flood coolant pump, then you could run the machine on 240VAC single phase, and ditch the phase converter altogether.

Just replaced power supply in cabinet PC. Runs like a charm again. Thanks to all for the help.

Scott