585,762 active members*
4,010 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Trim router as high speed spindle for G0704 and collets for small cutters?

Trim router as high speed spindle for G0704 and collets for small cutters?

Looking at CNCing a G0704 but some work fine detail (in steel) - down to something around 1/16". I saw a router added to the HF mini mill that looked good - it looked like holes were available in the head for a bracket and the trim router had a metal base to fasten to. But that router is no longer available and it didn't look as easy to mount a bracket on the G0704. So I have a couple questions...

Anyone have links to info on brackets for a high speed spindle such as a small router for the G0704?

Was looking at routers at Lowes yesterday and the best one I saw was a Bosch Colt model PR20EVSC ($99). It had some metal on the front but not complete. Speed 15k to 30k. Looking for suggestions on the router in the low (but not junk) to mid price range. The Bosch has a 1/4" collet - which brings up the next issue.

While looking at milling cutters I found the smaller ones had 3/16" or 1/8" shanks. I didn't do much looking and am a newbie - I think small bits are available with larger shanks but being able to use smaller seems like a good thing as it gives more options. Should I be looking at the bigger shanks for cutting steel? Where should I look for smaller collets?

Re: Trim router as high speed spindle for G0704 and collets for small cutters?

I have not see anyone do steel with a router for vary long. Aluminum is fairly easy but steel is just so much harder.

If you get fast and changing end bearings it might be ok.
    youtube videos of the G0704 under the name arizonavideo99

I made an Aux spindle from my Dewalt laminate trimmer. It comes with a 1/4" collet but I made my own for 1/8" too.
    Hoss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLAVKEnGeUg
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Hoss,

That's exactly what I am considering but will be doing mild steel. That trimmer looks fairly easy to mount and has a sturdy front bearing mount but is apparently no longer available.

Any recommendations for suitable routers?

Recommendations on where to get small cutters?

Thanks,

Jim

You can look at Lowes, Home Depot, Sears etc for laminate trimmers or small routers, some have round bodies like mine that make mounting easier.
    Maritool has some small endmills.
    Carbide End Mills - Finishers Square End - MariTool
    Bits and Bits have lots of tiny ones as small as .005.
    Standard Reach Flat End Mills
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

You might also want to look at what are often called compact routers these days. I just picked up a DeWalt DWP611 which is optimistically rated for 1.25 HP.

Eventually I intend to use it on a CNC machine. I went this route because the round body is relatively compact but being round it offers easy and flexible mounting capabilities. The idea here is that it would work until investment in a regular spindle can be made. There seems to be a number of these compact routers on the market now, they all are probably more that you would need for the work you intend to do.

Honestly I see no reason to use a high speed router to machine steel. Especially when the machine does that already. Engraving might be about all you could hope for with it. I will not say that it cannot be done. Just expect some issues.
    Lee

I believe the original poster understands this as he mentioned 1/16" cutters and engraving like machining. Such a spindle would most certainly be a waste in steel for anything else. It never hurts to have the capability in a CNC mill, you never know when a little job in wood, plastic or even aluminum might come along where a spindle faster than the main head would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Honestly I see no reason to use a high speed router to machine steel. Especially when the machine does that already. Engraving might be about all you could hope for with it. I will not say that it cannot be done. Just expect some issues.

Thanks, Wizard. I kinda missed that.
    As far as routers go, I use a HF die grinder on my plasma cutter to engrave steel and stainless steel with a carbide drill mill. No coolant at all. It lasts at least a year before it needs sharpening. It is setup where it has a foot so it won't engrave too deep and it kinda floats using the weight of the grinder to hold it down. If you are going to do mostly intricate engravings, you might look into a spring loaded diamond engraving bit. That should last well.

I put a little Ridgid trim router on my little mill to machine aluminum at one point. Worked pretty well and did better than anticipated. High speed will work wonders in aluminum provided there isn't a lot of run out in the bearings. I have burned through the Dewalt that Hoss showed and another little Ridgid trimmer and I am on my second in 11 years. Mostly hand held duty though and we use them alot.
    I have heard good things about the new Bosch.
    Lee

I mentioned the compact router because they are a step up above a laminate trimmer and most that I've seen have nice round bodies suitable for easy mounting. Apparently this class router is new on the market as I've seen introductions from a number of manufacturers over the last year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Thanks, Wizard. I kinda missed that.
    As far as routers go, I use a HF die grinder on my plasma cutter to engrave steel and stainless steel with a carbide drill mill. No coolant at all. It lasts at least a year before it needs sharpening. It is setup where it has a foot so it won't engrave too deep and it kinda floats using the weight of the grinder to hold it down. If you are going to do mostly intricate engravings, you might look into a spring loaded diamond engraving bit. That should last well.

I put a little Ridgid trim router on my little mill to machine aluminum at one point. Worked pretty well and did better than anticipated. High speed will work wonders in aluminum provided there isn't a lot of run out in the bearings. I have burned through the Dewalt that Hoss showed and another little Ridgid trimmer and I am on my second in 11 years. Mostly hand held duty though and we use them alot.
    I have heard good things about the new Bosch.
    Hey I curently have a big Porter Cable, a Bosch, a DeWalt laminate and just unboxed the DeWalt compact! In the past there was a Sears thrown in the mix. As for the Bosch laminate trimmer they appear to be having quality issues with spindle run out. At least according to on company marketing alternative collets. Probably this is due to the mad rush to China.

Jim27
    I have a Grizzly G0619 mill and was thinking of adding a router to the bottom of the machine. I looked at the Bosch Colt 1/4 bits and next to it was a Dewalt DW618; 8,000 to 24,000 rpm, Attachment 280640Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150518_221229.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	280642 which was the same height as the Colt, just about 3.490 in diameter. My G0619 does have enough height to raise the head up allowing the mounting of the Dewalt dw619 below. I purchased 1 inch thick by 6 inch wide 6061 aluminum for mounting a box router support with a 3.490 hole for mounting the router.

That is not typically where I see trim routers mounted, but if all you are doing is engraving thin material, it may work. Not much play room. It will certainly be a challenge to get it rigid enough down that low and away from the head. That doesn't appear to be a trim router either.
    I will share a picture of how I mounted my trimmer in my home made mill. Something like this may actually be easier for you. You would not need to remove it to do normal machining.

Lee

Hi Guy's

Before selecting a particular router, I suggest you take a look at the Harbor Freight Heavy Duty Long Shaft
    Die Grinder #44141 & #60656. It's easily mountable, extremely rugged and very versatile. I installed one on my first CNC Bridge Mill
    15 years ago and it's still working fine. It's not abused and cuts only Brass, Aluminum, Hardwoods (primarily ebony) & plastic.
    It's list price is $ 49.95 but occasionally featured on sale at $29.95. I've purchased 2 additional unit's at that price as a backup
    but the first article just keeps ticking!

I'm going to add a page on my thread to show some of my projects machined with the die Grinder to complete the record.

W. Smith, Mission Viejo, CA

I have one of those mounted on my plasma cutter to do scribing or engraving text with. It scribes steel and stainless steel just fine. I too have a backup, but haven't needed it.
    Most recently I put a sub table on my plasma cutter and it cuts polycarbonate nicely too. The run out s not bad at all and after at least a years running. Probably closer to two.
    Lee

The lamps are cool.

New Makita router 1-1/4HP all aluminum body, 27krpm....