585,883 active members*
4,629 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tree > Tree journeyman 325

Tree journeyman 325

I recently purchased a 325 . I found a brochure for the machine online and it says it has a 2 speed ranges (50-3500 rpm) (50-6000 rpm). Is this optional spindles per model or is there a way to switch to the second range.
    Thanks

Re: Tree journeyman 325

Optional. Most were 6k I saw. Same spindles, just different pulleys.

That's what I thought, I tried putting my spindle speed at 4000 RPM yesterday and it gave me an "improper spindle speed" error.
    Thanks Underthetire

Not to dig this back up, but I need to switch my 3500 spindle to 6k. I found the pulley that which I need, but from what I have seen, something needs to be switch/tweaked/jumpered/something to get get it to recognize the new top speed. Has anyone done this and lived to tell about it? Is there any other differences than that? Different bearings or what ever? My machine has the Yaskawa 8000rpm motor and a recently swapped out spindle drive so I am pretty sure it is up to the task.

Call Bob At ZPS (262) 758-6129. Probably need a new prom.

So this gets archived:

To make the control on a J325 / J425 go from 3500 rpm to 6000, add a jumper from 24vdc in machine to wire/terminal 238. Most machine the 24vdc can be sourced at the adjacent terminal

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by zpsbob View Post
    So this gets archived:

To make the control on a J325 / J425 go from 3500 rpm to 6000, add a jumper from 24vdc in machine to wire/terminal 238. Most machine the 24vdc can be sourced at the adjacent terminal

Bob

See, Bob knows all.

I noticed your post about changing the speed of your tree journeyman 325 and you said you had the pully I have been looking for one if you happen to have the part number and/or know where I might be able to obtain one I would be greatly appreciative thanks Chuck

I got the pulley from American Metric. It was a 10 groove, but I only needed an 8 groove or somehting like that. It was a year ago so my memory is a bit off. Also, it used BSW threaded screws instead of SAE to join the taper lock bushing to the pulley. It was what they had on the shelf and it worked out just fine. I just replaced the spindle pulley with a 5.2” 8 groove pulley from Ametric, it uses the 2517 taper lock bushing with a 28mm shaft (I have the Yaskawa 5hp motor in mine). I think there is about a slight error in the RPM (on the faster side). So that when I am at 5400 RPM it is a bit faster. But the only time this could be an issue is when running tapping cycles. But I do all my tapping at 500RPM or less so its not an issue. Also, on my mill I had to replace the Spindle drive as the factory unit ate crap and died a couple years ago. With the new pulley, I get a spindle not up to speed fault when spinning up to 5500RPM (which is where I am usually cutting aluminum as I don't think going wide open is a good thing), but it only flashes then goes away and the mill keeps on going. I think that the spindle drive I put in isn't quite large enough to push the current through needed for start ups. But I don't really want to have to mess with or pay for swapping in another drive. You may have to monkey with the start/stop time settings on your drive, maybe. I don't know since I never ran my mill with the 6k set up on the factory drive. It died about a year before I did the swap. Also, you will probably have to call Ametric to order as their site is the suck right now. And, odds are, you will probably have to special order that pulley which usually means a couple months of waiting since this stuff gets made in china. I know another guy on here had a local shop just strait up make him a new pulley on their CNC lathe then had it balanced at an Automotive machine shop. That will probably cost you a lot more, unless you have a CNC turning center. He made it to fit the factory Taper Lock bushing. Unfortunately I had to destroy the bushing on my factory pulley since it was so stuck on there. Was a royal PITA to get off. As for the belt, I used this one: Continental ContiTech Poly-V V-Belt, 635L8, Ribbed, 8 Rib, 0.185" Width, 0.38" Height, 63.5" Nominal Outside Length: Industrial V Belts: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific.

I hope this helps some. IF you have any more questions, feel free to msg me.