585,981 active members*
4,432 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Torus Pro ordered

Well, just wired the money to Novakon for a Torus Pro stepper. Added the PDB and 4th axis controller.
    Just wanted to say thanks to Ray L. His recommendation of the machine helped make up my mind.
    Haven't ordered any tooling yet. Would you guys order quick change tooling from Novakon or is
    there another supplier you could recommend?

Thanks,
    Ken

Re: Torus Pro ordered

Congrats on purchase.

Look for Bsello's on ebay, I bought ER32 holders from him (sold in 10 piece QTY).

I bought my ER32 Collets from Shars.

I plan on buying a few more from Bsello but in ER 16-20 size for all my Drills.

Regards,

-Jason

Congrats!!!
    I bought ER20 holders from Bsello's too, but they don't have the groove in them to use with a tool changer....just something to keep in mind. I bought some QTC stuff from Novakon because the price was similar to Tormach, but since they shipped it with the mill, the shipping was free....or at least didn't cost any extra.
    Don't have to be too bright to be me

I have all Novakon QCT tooling and collets, they are priced right and if shipped with the mill It saves a ton of shipping cost.

Thanks for the reply guys. Think I will order a starter set from Novakon.
    Wait and see what else I need after the machine is up and running.

Ken

I never really thought about getting the tooling from them. I had some Tormach stuff already for my old mill.
    I just continued on with tooling from them to keep it all the same.
    That said, I have a couple TTS holders from them that do not have the tool change groove. Those are oldies.
    I think you will be pleased with your choice.
    It is a whole lotta machine.
    Lee

I ordered most of my tooling from Darkon, cheap and quality seems pretty good, not quite as cheap as the ebay sets though. I also got the starter set from novakon, more for the things that aren't tool holders though

If you ask bsello, you will probably be able to get them with the ATC groove. I've ordered several holders from him with the groove, but I had to ask for them.

Hey Guys;
    How to I contact bsello. I tried a search on ebay and he didn't show up!
    DBD...... Congrats on the new machine. Novakon is setting new standards in the home cnc market!
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Bill,

I believe the correct eBay user name for the tool holders you are looking for is "bsello168"

Yutools, Mitsubishi items in Yusing-Tools store on eBay!

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

I haven't had good luck with the couple Novakon TTS-style collet chucks I've tried. I'd, quickly, like to point out that this was close to two years ago (I think). I think it's possible they could have been damaged in shipping (as I recall, they were basically loose in a box when they arrived). I'm guessing/hoping they've improved their shipping methods since then. I also hope the quality has improved overall.

I've also tried the Bsello (Yin Sheng), Darkon, and Tormach ER-20 holders.
    Yin Sheng - you can't beat the price (and oddly, the shipping speed) but they're not as robust as the other brands. As mentioned they don't have the tool change groove either (but I've heard they may be available if you contact the seller). Lastly, they don't have the taper at the top of the shank to aid with tool changes.
    bsello168 | eBay

Darkon - Nice quality for sure. Last I saw they were about half the price of Tormach, but I hear Tormach has lowered the pricing on their TTS holders. I believe they have a line of "low profile" ER-20 holders - if I were to do it all over again I'd probably look at those very closely. Too bad they don't have the ATC groove. It looks like SCzEngrgGroup's automatic tool changer is coming right along, it would suck to have to re-buy all your tool holders if you ever decide to get the ATC.
    Specialty Products - Machine / Shop Tools - DARKON? - 4GT.ca

Tormach - I've found that their ER-20 holders are the most consistent. As I mentioned, I also hear they've lowered their pricing. The biggest gripes I have with them are their former pricing and their shipping pricing (which also used to be exorbitantly high). It's pretty bad when the shipping direct from China (Bsello168) is faster and cheaper than whatever Tormach uses.
    If you do decide to buy from Tormach, I'd suggest grabbing one of these...
    33034 - Compact TTS Tool Tightening Fixture
    They're super handy! Make sure to add it to an existing order because of... you know... their crazy-high shipping prices.

I have two videos on YouTube showing the runout of several holders from these brands. I won't post the vids here, but if you search for my name on YouTube you should find them without too much trouble.

I agree that they used to be priced higher at Tormach. They did lower the prices. I haven't found shipping to be bad, but I always request the US mail option.

That tool holder is very cool. Glad I bought mine. I no longer see them on their site, but I also bought the Tool holder that supports the tools under the collar. This is used for setting the tool lengths with a height gauge. Measuring from the end of the shaft is not the way to do it.
    Those are easy enough to make yourself though. Even on a mill. Square or round stock with an accurate 3/4" hole in it and surfaced top and bottom. If the hole is close to 90 degrees, it will be close enough for tool lengths.
    Lee

Yes, good tip! If you have a surface plate you can drill a hole into it as well (I'd recommend drilling the hole oversize). Tormach sells a small surface plate with a hole drilled in it but I think this DIY approach is a better way to go. I had a friend bring the tool over (angle grinder with water coolant) and we knocked it out in less than half an hour.

I was looking through my photos and I came across the other attached pic - from left to right the tool holders are...
    Novakon ER-32, Yin Sheng ER-20, Tormach ER-20, Novakon ER-20, Darkon ER-20
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20141023_225211.jpg   P1110707.JPG  

Now that is an even better idea. Bore a hole in the surface plate. Nothing to misplace that way.
    Sometimes the genius is in the simplicity of a solution.
    Lee

Also don't order a ton of ER32, I ordered 10 and they are just overkill for most of the tools I've used so far. Ordering 10 ER20s now just because they are way smaller

Novakon told me 2 to 3 week turn around on the mill and it shipped last Monday, just about on schedule. Due to arrive here tomorrow.
    Wondered if anyone has good ideas for a coolant enclosure? Didn't really want to start drilling into the side of a new mill.
    I didn't see any plans or drawing on the Novakon website.
    TIA
    Ken