585,749 active members*
3,819 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach, Rhino and Sprutcam setup insight
Page 1 of 2 12

Tormach, Rhino and Sprutcam setup insight

Hi Fellow Tomrach users,
    How many folks out there using Rhino 3D with Sprutcam for their Tormach’s?
    I have a Tormach/Rhino 5/Sprutcam 8 setup and am curious what other users have discovered using the same setup.
    How well has Rhino worked with Sprutcam and to meet your needs?
    What tricks have folks picked up in using it with this setup?
    Would you say that Rhino can do just about anything that is ‘CAM-able’ with Sprutcam and producible on a Tormach?
    What has been the best format to interface Rhino with Sprutcam (i.e. IGES files, STL files)?
    What limitations have you found?
    If anyone has any other insights into using this combination, I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks so much,
    Nathan

Re: Tormach, Rhino and Sprutcam setup insight

I have no experience with rhino 3d cad
    In my experience sprutcam needs iges files any other type will limit sprutcam functions

md

I use rhino 4 and sprutcam 7, the .igs files are what I use, Rhino and Sprut have done what I have needed so far, sprut is a bit quirky sometimes, though it has done everything I have needed.
    The only thing I really dont like is not having the ability to have sprut integrated with rhino for changes I make, reimporting a new file with the changes and recaming it is a pain!

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    Hi Fellow Tomrach users,
    I have a Tormach/Rhino 5/Sprutcam 8 setup and am curious what other users have discovered using the same setup.
    Would you say that Rhino can do just about anything that is ‘CAM-able’ with Sprutcam and producible on a Tormach?
    What has been the best format to interface Rhino with Sprutcam (i.e. IGES files, STL files)?
    If anyone has any other insights into using this combination, I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks so much,
    Nathan
    - - - Updated - - -

I use rhino 4 and sprutcam 7, the .igs files are what I use, Rhino and Sprut have done what I have needed so far, sprut is a bit quirky sometimes, though it has done everything I have needed.
    The only thing I really dont like is not having the ability to have sprut integrated with rhino for changes I make, reimporting a new file with the changes and recaming it is a pain!

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    Hi Fellow Tomrach users,
    Thanks so much,
    Nathan
    mike sr

You might consider RhinoCAM; a version of Mecsoft's VisualMill which is integrated into Rhino, so you don't have to convert to IGES, export, generate the toolpath and re-import it each time.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    You might consider RhinoCAM; a version of Mecsoft's VisualMill which is integrated into Rhino, so you don't have to convert to IGES, export, generate the toolpath and re-import it each time.
    VisualMill is probably about the worst CAM on the planet! I had a copy for about two weeks earlier this year, and returned it for full refund, after doing (literally!) about 50 support tickets. It was nothing less than AWFUL, and BUGGY!

Regards,
    Ray L.

I use turbocad V8 pro Export to iges into bobcad v26 Works ok (for a windows program ) so try it and See if you have less than 50 Tickets ,..

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

I agree with Awerby, get Rhino CAM if you plan on doing mostly 2.5D products. I ran it for 2 years - Rhino and RhinoCAM and couldn't be happier. I now use Solidworks and HSMWorks and STILL go back to RhinoCAM for 2.5D work. There were ZERO bugs in 2 years - again 2.5D NOT 3D - 3D is all HSMworks. (The bugs are in Mach 3, lol)

RhinoCAM's Post editor is probably the easiest to understand out of any CAM software I have ever seen. (just side note)

*VisualMill I have heard is Terrible. yes, they are from the same company, but I had zero issues with RhinoCAM

Thanks for everyone's input.
    I really appreciate it.
    I looked at Rhinocam before buying Sprutcam 8 with my Tormach. I want to be able to do 3d and 4th axis work and I have herd once one understands some of the work-arounds with Sprutcam that it is a capable program (especially for the money).
    Mike Sr, thank for your vote of confidence. It helps to have a testimonial from someone with a similar setup to mine who has been able to do what they have needed to do without being limited. I assume you are doing 3D work and not just 2.5D work, right?
    Brad, I appreciate the input. I have been following from a distance how you transitioned from Rhino 3D to SolidWorks. I would love to go that direction eventually but need to use what I have invested in first. How was the learning curve from Rhino to Solidworks?
    Did HSMworks come with SolidWorks or did you purchase it separately? I can't remember if you said you were sponsored by HMSworks or not but if you are, congrats.
    Thanks again to all those who has input.
    Nathan

testing

Academic question ? What would you think of an Web HTML 5 cloud based solution ?
    Like up load the iges stl or dxf File manipulate it like turn adjust to Z what ever then choose Tool and strategy in the cloud the gcode is Calculate d result you download to your machine and Run it ... you could do it Even on an rasperry or pad ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tkamsker View Post
    Academic question ? What would you think of an Web HTML 5 cloud based solution ?
    Like up load the iges stl or dxf File manipulate it like turn adjust to Z what ever then choose Tool and strategy in the cloud the gcode is Calculate d result you download to your machine and Run it ... you could do it Even on an rasperry or pad ?
    Look at Autodesk's Fusion 360. It's free (for now), but, like most "cloud" apps, is just painfully slow and quirky....

Besides, you really want to setup CAM parameters on a phone to tablet? That sounds like torture to me. It's tricky enough selecting the right geometry, and setting/checking the gazillions of parameters on each operation with a large, high-resolution screen and mouse.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Hi i think of similar Workflow likevautodesk 360! But you Need to prepare drawing for gcode like roughing Drilling finnisch and so on then on the machine (in my Case linuxcnc ) you have mouse and browser you can adjust Parameter Check clamping and do real stuff gcode. Save it on the machine here you go only Requirements is Internet (Even 3G would work ) and HTML 5 browser ,..

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Nathan,

Rhino and SW are 100% different. I still can't draw a quality 3D object in Rhino, but can do it in 10seconds in SW now. SW is more intuitive once you realize how simple it really is. I was scared at first, but now I love it. However things like Softjaws, I will continue to use Rhino for, because I can do it in a matter of minutes without needing to draw it in 3D, its way faster than drawing a 3D representation of my jaws with extruded cuts from the parts, then worrying about making them .001"-.003" bigger, etc. Of course that will come with time, I'm sure eventually I'll never use Rhino again by next year.

Here is a thread on Fusion - Fusion Pricing

I use Rhino 4 for 3d drawings, I have never used solidworks as I have only been using cad for less than 3 years so I really dont know what any other software is like to learn or use. As a hobbyist the cost would be prohibitive for Solidworks for me. I am just curious as to why its easier to draw in 3d in Solidworks than in Rhino?

QUOTE=BAMCNC.COM;1569994]Nathan,

Rhino and SW are 100% different. I still can't draw a quality 3D object in Rhino, but can do it in 10seconds in SW now. SW is more intuitive once you realize how simple it really is. I was scared at first, but now I love it. However things like Softjaws, I will continue to use Rhino for, because I can do it in a matter of minutes without needing to draw it in 3D, its way faster than drawing a 3D representation of my jaws with extruded cuts from the parts, then worrying about making them .001"-.003" bigger, etc. Of course that will come with time, I'm sure eventually I'll never use Rhino again by next year.

Here is a thread on Fusion - Fusion Pricing[/QUOTE]
    mike sr

You probably be fine with all you need to do with rhino.
    For me the only reason I am considering SW is that it is an industry standard which means lots of shops use it and the parametric capabilities could come in handy. I had a job I turned down last year that needed it but I didn't have the capability or knowledge to do so.
    From what I have been gathering for one-offs rhino will be adequate for just about anything.
    How complex of parts have you made with rhino on your tormach?

Thanks for the info on SW I was just curious, I am 75 years old so I dont think I will be doing anything commercially ha! I was just wondering why SW was more highly sought after or easier to use or just what was the advantage over Rhino.

Most of my parts are 2 1/2d with a 3d hole in the center of a lot of them(round that transitions to a rectangle) and some engraving.

From what I gather so far is SW is kind of an industry standard??

thanks for the info
    mike sr

To give my opinion on one of the OP's questions: I think Rhino is perfectly capable of creating any CAM-able part. In fact, it will surely do some things better than SolidWorks.

I've found that Rhino does a very good job at opening SolidWorks files. I have Rhino v4 and SolidWorks 2013, I haven't tried with newer files/versions. Obviously, opening any file in its native program is preferable though. This is particularly true with SolidWorks as you get the construction history and parametric control.

Personally, when considering CAD/CAM options, I think it is a BIG mistake to over-look the impact of separate CAD and CAM, and having to export/import through STEP/IGES/whatever. In many, if not most, cases, even a simple change to the part, can cause the CAM to lose the geometry when the model is re-loaded, and you'll have to go through and manually re-select the geometry for ever operation. On complex parts, this is a BIG PITA. with integrated CAM, you update the model, and the CAM will, with rare exceptions, remain correct and up-to-date automatically. Solidworks/HSMXpress is very good in this respect, and I would NEVER go back to non-integrated CAD/CAM, as it saves me a HUGE amount of time and effort.

As far as what one CAD/CAM will or won't do, or will or won't do easily, it's largely a matter of personal preference, previous experience, and the users willingness to adapt to the tools way of doing things. There are, unquestionably, some systems that are far more efficient than others, at least in some respects. But, to a large extent, everything becomes "easy" once you know how to do it. I've played with dozens of CAD and CAM packages over the years. Some were very easy to come up to speed on, others were not. I've always found BobCAD cumbersome, and frequently obtuse. With Solidworks, I felt right at home after just a few hours, because it was so similar to Alibre/GeoMagic, which I had used previously. Someone who started with BobCAD could well feel exactly the opposite. So, bottom line, you'd be well advised to get the demo versions of ANY systems in your price range, and see how they work FOR YOU. That, after all, is all that really matters.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Thanks for the feedback, Hirudin.
    This is the kind of feedback I was looking for and it puts me at ease investing my time in learning Rhino since I have it.
    Best,
    Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by Hirudin View Post
    To give my opinion on one of the OP's questions: I think Rhino is perfectly capable of creating any CAM-able part. In fact, it will surely do some things better than SolidWorks.

I've found that Rhino does a very good job at opening SolidWorks files. I have Rhino v4 and SolidWorks 2013, I haven't tried with newer files/versions. Obviously, opening any file in its native program is preferable though. This is particularly true with SolidWorks as you get the construction history and parametric control.

Its good to hear that Rhino will do whats needed as thats what I use also, I would like to have an integrated cam, but Rhino cam is 1200 dollars and is from what I gather, only 2 1/2d It sure would be nice though for some of my new parts drawings that I need to change several times.
    mike sr

Page 1 of 2 12