585,888 active members*
4,713 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach PCNC1100 market value & depreciation

Tormach PCNC1100 market value & depreciation

Hi guys,
    I bought my Tormach PCNC1100 with hopes of making tons of parts and recouping the cost in a few months. Well, work and other things got in the way and unfortunately the machine ended up sitting idle most of the time for the past year. I recently cleaned it all up and am trying to decide whether it's worth it to keep for the odd project here and there, or free up the garage space. It's quite an investment to have sitting there 99% of the time!

I don't see any 1100's on eBay or Craigslist. How are they being valued these days? Should I expect it to hold its value for the next 2-3 years?

Mine is a 2011 Series II with less than 200 hours, deluxe stand, PDB, ATC, new 8" 4th axis, machine controller, etc. Pretty much decked out with the options and tooling. Really wish I had time and energy to use it more often! So yeah, just thought I'd get your thoughts. Am I losing anything by keeping it?

Re: Tormach PCNC1100 market value & depreciation

There was one on eBay last week or the week before. It was listed for $15k and did not sell. Then relished for $14k Obo. Similar config (PDB, ATC, 4th) to yours but series 3. Another one without ATC sold for $10k. One without PDB or other goodies, $8k. eBay and Paypal fees are the killer IMHO. Machines listed on craigslist are typically gone within a few days if the price is reasonable. But, As I'm sure you know it varies depending on which part of the country you are in.

Is your machine paid for? How close to retirement age are you?

If you are close to retirement, you're gonna need something to do after you pull the plug. If you're not close to retirement and your machine is paid for, keep it until your job slows down. It's not costing you anything to sit there and do nothing.

I bought my machine about 2 years after I was forced into retirement due to a major health issue. I have never looked back.

I owned a real CNC shop before then with FADAL and Haas machines, and I can do anything on my Tormach that I could do on any of those machines, it just takes a little longer. But hey, I'm supposed to be retired so what do I have besides time.

I still bid work as if I was doing it on a 20 horse machine and if I can make half that hourly rate, I'm happy.

I guess what I'm saying here is KEEP YOUR MACHINE
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

I'd say keep your machine as well, however if you do want to get rid of it, PM me as I'd like an 1100 one with all the goodies (I've got a 770 now). If the price is reasonable, I might just take it off your hands.

Wade

Thanks for the replies. So, it looks like aside from the floor space I'm not really losing anything by keeping it. Maybe I'm just used to cars and motorcycles that plummet year after year! This is good to know.

Steve, I'm about 30 years from retirement. I wonder if our machines will still be relevant in 30 years!

In good shape you could sell it fast for 50% of new price. Maybe 2/3 if you weren't in a rush. More if you're in an area with a lot if buyers with money, more if you're willing to load or deliver. You might also part out the PDB, ATC, or 4th. You could probably get pretty decent money for those and they're easier to ship, and you still have the mill.

Quote Originally Posted by cobrakai View Post
    Maybe I'm just used to cars and motorcycles that plummet year after year! This is good to know.
    you are just buying the wrong cars and bikes...
    but as far as I know, Mills are more like tools, you loose $X the moment you drive it off the show room floor, and you loose some small amount for every mile driven or hour run (ie use & abuse)... but as far as I know sitting idle time doesn't = any lost $$$

I would guess you would get about 2/3 of the original price if you are close to a large metro area. You are talking a significant amount of cash for most, and they would also need to be in the market for your exact machine configuration. Parting out the options as mentioned above may be your best bet in finding a buyer. If you think that you may use the machine in a year or so, I would just keep what you have.

If you're really worried about floor space, buy a house with a 3 car garage. That's what I have.

I took the big side of the garage, and left the small side so my wife could put her car in. Now she has so much crap on her side her car won't fit.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

cobrakai,
    Is your machine part of a company you have to make parts? If yes you probably have depreciated it for the most part on your taxes. If this is true then remember you may have to report the sale on your taxes as capital gains.
    2/3 rds take it, 1/2 you have to decide! Sell it for what you think you need to get you where you want to be.

30 years to retirement...and if your tired now then man you got a road to plow