584,858 active members*
4,947 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tormach Passive Probe.

I give up, I can't figure out how to configure the Tormach Passive Probe. I went to tormach.com/downloads.html as directed, downloaded the config file, ran it and t just gave a picture of the config screen. No useful information. Anybody know the secret to configuring the passive probe?

Re: Tormach Passive Probe.

You have to run the config program. Select the profile of the machine (series 3 atc etc etc), then at the bottom is a drop down.

Orrrrrr
    If you know how to use ports and pins config in mach you can load the sysset file and just change it there. But I didn't tell you that

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks, I'll give it another try but I won't be able to get to my shop until Monday,

John, Did you get this figured out? I can send you a screen shot from my 770 config if you still need it. I use the passive probe here quite a bit. Getting it configured in the software is the easy part. Dialing it in with the set screws is a PITA especially after you snap the tip off from it once or twice :-).

Pick, that would be great. I'm only in the shop on Mondays so, no, I don't have it figured out. I plan t,o retire on 2/28/2015 after that I will be in the shop every day.

Congrats on your pending retirement. I'll grab you the screenshots today and post them up later. It will be quick and easy for you to get it set up and it is a time saver.

Thanks for the congrats. Hopefully I won't have to sell oranges at the freeway off-ramp (but I have spotted a good one just in case). Wifey had been bugging me to retire for the past few years. She thinks I only go to work to escape her incessant nagging.

Quote Originally Posted by pickled View Post
    Congrats on your pending retirement. I'll grab you the screenshots today and post them up later. It will be quick and easy for you to get it set up and it is a time saver.
    I use a co-ax indicator to locate my parts from a center hole or boss, I am wondering if the proble would be quicker, possibly nmore accurate??
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by JohnToner View Post
    Thanks for the congrats. Hopefully I won't have to sell oranges at the freeway off-ramp (but I have spotted a good one just in case). Wifey had been bugging me to retire for the past few years. She thinks I only go to work to escape her incessant nagging.
    Congrats on the impending retirement John!

You will then need to put a door on the shed, those bright lights in the shop may annoy the neighbors in the wee hours of the morning ha!!

The shop is my escape area, too much time together is not always a good thing................
    mike sr

I don't know. I have a Blake I used on my Lagun, but on the 1100 I've been using my Haimer for XY and a 0.4995 dowel pin for Z,

Quote Originally Posted by JohnToner View Post
    I don't know. I have a Blake I used on my Lagun, but on the 1100 I've been using my Haimer for XY and a 0.4995 dowel pin for Z,
    Why not use the Haimer to establish part zero for Z as well? I find that very handy.

Mike

Here you go John. This pretty much covers everything I could think to tell you. I slapped this baby together pretty fast so hopefully it makes sense. Also my machine controller is PURELY stand alone and I didn't have an efficient way to capture the screen shots so I just used the old take a picture of the screens with my phone and cropped/modified them. It's rough, but I think that it is all there. In retrospect I should have just made a quick Youtube video...oh well at least you could simply print this out and have it at the machine with you.Let me know if you, or any other members, have questions or comments about this process. Also good luck with keeping your better half pacified while you make the transition. I just make mine some jewelry or other form of "gift of love" every once in a while on my down days and it seems to help.

Thanks, all is well now (except that I forgot to lock-out the spindle and had to repair the cable and spring for a new probe tip). It really works great, repeatable and sufficiently accurate. Couldn't have set it up w/o your help.