585,766 active members*
4,238 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

tools getting stuck

I've always had a sticky tool holder issue with our RH33, usually after at starts to pop when changing tools a quick rub with scotch-brite pads will fix it for a while. Recently it has become worse and i can no longer use the tool changer with fear off breaking more of the plastic holders. I sometimes now have to use a hit with a deadblow while someone presses the tool out button to get the holder out. I have confirmed that oil is getting into the air-system. One small drop for every 3-4 tool changes. Pull studs look to be just fine, do they need a dab of grease or something every now and then? I polished the spindle and holder surfaces and even tried a bit of light oil on them. I don't leave them in overnight. I can put a tool in and out no problem most of the time, until the tool is ran. Even light cuts for a minute will create the sticking issue. Any thoughts? Machine is only a couple years old, with not very many hours on it

Re: tools getting stuck

I had an issue like this on my vm17. Sportybob helped me figure it out. I shut the air off to the cylinder that pushes the drawbar down and noticed that it wasn't going down far enough to contact the retention knob. It should push the tool out about .030. On mine there was a adjustment knob on the top that you can turn. I can't remember which way right at the moment but it seems it was the opposite of what I first thought. Seems like it ended up being ccw.

ok, I will pull the covers off and take a look. I tried to see how much push-out there is, but the air just made the holder bounce as I held it in spindle. I guess ill have to shut it off somehow without getting the check air faults. I notice some fretting in the past, did you have this also?

Mine had an inline valve just before the cylinder that I was able to shut the air off to just the cylinder.

You might also check to see how much drawbar pressure you have if you are getting wear on your tool holders it could be that you have some broken belleville washers. Which would allow the tool to pull out and get jammed in the spindle. Put a tool holder in your spindle and try to pry it out with an 18 in pry bar it should take some effort. should be about impossible with a 6 inch.

fairbarn...
    There's a parameter available that you can turn off so you don't get alarms when shutting off the air. Be sure to remember to turn it back on when you are finished troubleshooting.

I tried the prybar thing and it i couldn't move it with a good pull on a 18". Problem seems to be intermittent as its worse some days than others. I haven't had time to really play with it lately. I will see if i can find the air warning parameter and see what else i can find. Machine only has 3000 hours

In addition to checking tool kick out and the possibility that you may have fractured Belleville washers, you might also need to check the condition of your collet and gripper fingers.