585,996 active members*
4,626 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tools and Extras for a Grizzly G4003

I was considering buying the G9972Z but now I'm strongly leaning towards the G4003 despite the jump in price. A lot of machine for someone who hasn't used one before but I'm retired and have the time to learn. I mostly work with aluminum and stainless but with the lathe, steel will definitely come into the picture as well. I have a Cobra replica which will receive some upgrades I haven't been able to tackle before... i.e. steering, control arms, suspension components, etc.. I also have two motorcycles, one of which I plan to make parts for adding a supercharger... yes, I am crazy.

At this point I need help with what tools, etc. I should get when I purchase this particular lathe. Seems like there are items I won't need for the G4003 which I would have needed for the G9972Z, so I'm trying to avoid buying something I don't need, as well as the other way around. It would be more convenient to just get everything from Grizzly but I can easily purchase some elsewhere but it would really help if I knew some specifics, like brand, part number, etc. so I make sure I get the correct item.

Thanks

Re: Tools and Extras for a Grizzly G4003

No such thing as "needed stuff".

It depend on what *you* make and how well *you make it*.

The sky is the limit.
    For one guy, a d digital caliper is accurate.

For another, glass scales, dros, lvdt and air gages.
    Both are right.

It depends, you see.

Start making something, and keep buying stuff as needed only.
    Otherwise you really will have a lot of stuff that you dont need, or that is either too expensive or not good enough for what you want to make.

Just measuring stuff, ie metrology, costs several times the cost of the lathe, at the medium end.
    If you dont need it, no sense in buying it.

Example:
    I am interested in making accurate threads. (Perfect threads).
    Have spent over 10k on it, on lathe stuff alone.
    Unless you are doing the same, you would not want to invest in stuff needed for this type on things.

Re: Tools and Extras for a Grizzly G4003

Thanks for the input but you may have taken my post a little too seriously because I'm not looking for any specialized tools. I just want enough of the more common tools to get started such as cutting and threading tools. I can always build from there. I'm actually trying to keep from buying things I may not ever use but I also don't want to get the machine only to find out I can't do something basic, then have to wait days to get the tool. That's why I mentioned never using a lathe before and it looks like this lathe doesn't include any tools at all.

As far as the extras, I was referring to things like a quick change tool post, quick change tool holder, etc. but it looks like I don't need them for this lathe even though I would have for the G9972Z.

Thanks