585,778 active members*
4,159 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tool Shadow Board Software

I'm about as good as the next guy when it comes to using a drawing program and free-handing an outline and then converting it to gcode. But it's so time consuming. It appears that this company is taking a photo of tools and then converting them to gcode without the need for artistry.

Of course, I don't know that they are actually doing that. Maybe they take the photo and then painfully trace around it. Do any of you know of a program (priced for the hobbyists) that would make it possible for me to take a photo and then convert it accurately so that I had the tool silhouettes. It seems to me that the program would some how have to produce a picture with only two values: the black and the white. Any help will be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails camera.jpg   tool-image.jpg  

Re: Tool Shadow Board Software

I know this is an old thread, but if the OP is around, did you ever find any inforamtio regarding your question? I would like to do something like this in my own shop.

Thanks

Dan
    Check out what I am working on at www.routerbitz.com!

Have OP or Dan found something they would like to share?

I'm new here and looking for something similar myself. This is what perked my interest in CNC and eventually got me to refit an old Gerber router.

I had some success by taking BW photo from above and using thresholds settings to make silhouette, then vectorized result. A little consuming but not so bad I willing to dump $2500 on a light box. Any info would be appreciated.

Rgds,

Daz

I did the same thing with my iphone - simply take a picture of the object on a white background, bring it into your cad program and make curves around the outlines, takes a couple hours max. Also if you have access to a profile project your can make a better image (photo of projector screen) and maybe do a convert to lines in illustrator or similar....

cheers,
    john

Didn't think of projector, thanks John...
    think I might have a crack a making one of them light tables/boot in photo below. Can't be too hard.

Hi Dazz, the box is cool and might be interesting to make but it cant be easier than making a photoshop macro or vectorizing in illustrator. So far I did some complicated tools simply by taking an overhead photo and tracing the curves in my cad program. Easier would of course be better. If you have a photo of the black on white silouette that would be perfect to autotrace in illustrator and you can do all your tools at once. If i can help message me. Have you cut foam with your router?

Cheers, john

Hi John,

The only issues I found with overhead photo/auto trace is shadows, also the auto vectors created are a bit complex and require a bit of clean up and simplification as well otherwise the g-code goes nuts.
    With the box should get a clean silhouette, with no shadows and hopefully no or little clean up. If work space is set to size of table, just scale to work space and all pieces should be good, auto trace and bingo.
    I picked up an IKEA Lack table (55x55) for $8 today and have a bit of white Perspex around (just can't find it) , LED strips on way from China $19. I will whack one up and see how it works. If it doesn't work well my daughter can have a tracing table! I will most likely have to compete for use with her anyway so if it works I'll make another one, the price is right.
    I have made a few pockets into some scrap/sample pieces of foam. Happy with the results, the finish on the edges could be a bit better, will have to play around with feed to find best result. Overall though happy. See photos.
    I was advised by a gentleman who makes orthotics and read last night that rotary burrs give a great finish so picked one up today to test out, but I just cracked a gear on my drive Y-axis being a Dumb-axx!!
    Unfortunately for me it is Melbourne Cup long weekend, so all machine/gear shops will be closed till Wed! Not sure what this going to cost, but sure could have used the $ for something else.
    cheers,
    Daz
    Attachment 255216Attachment 255218Attachment 255220Attachment 255222

Yes, shadow was the problem. I used a strong light really close to reduce (but not remove) it. Not practical really. I converted the resulting image to a tiff, brought that into my cad and sketched the curves in. Much better would be a silouhette table and then work with the profiles. It will be very interesting to see the result of your tests. You might have to do some tricks to get a crisp shadow on the surface of your table as you intend. I am no expert but i would think monochromatic light would work best i.e a sodium bulb or similar rather than leds. With regards to the foam cutting interesting to see you milling it out. The guys who do it professionally always try to avoid doing that. They would rather go all the way through then stick layers back together..

Cheers, john

Not sure if pocketing is the way to go, would seem that cutting outline all the way through would indeed be quicker, I just don't want to deal with chemicals if I didn't have to. If this goes much further than my toolbox and a few others at work, I may go with layering.

As far as the light goes I thought LEDs were Monochromatic? I ordered a 5m strip of red and one of green to try. White LEDs are usually a mix of RGB. I'm not a expert either, but I'll give it a go.

Daz

Give it a go! Always the best way. If the results are not good enough add a projector bulb. This will provide a single wavelength of light close enough. You are doing it for the sharp shadow edge. Light will diffract differing amounts depending upon its wavelength. Any material it travels through causes it to bend. More colours (wavelenghts) different bend amounts which will make a fuzzy edge... Easiest cheapest most effective way - projector bulb. Suck it and see! Cheers!

Hey John,

Have a look...Attachment 255512

Not too bad, these tools are chrome so I can't escape the reflections, pretty easy to clean up...I think the results are similar to thumb nails below.
    I'm using frosted glass at the moment as I can not find the white perspex, will head to Bunnings and grab a new sheet. I'll play around with the light source and see if it can be improved. Will keep you posted.

Daz

pretty cool! keep me posted, would love to see if you can get better results..

cheers,
    john