586,030 active members*
2,750 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Tool offsets and Z depth

Tool offsets and Z depth

We recently traded up our CNC machines (1986-1998 Supermax's) for a 2011 Hass VF-2SS and a soon to arrive UMC750. We want to start running parts tomorrow on the VF2 but I'm having trouble figuring out how to get my Z value. I used to measure all tools and work off a 6" block from the table surface, everything was negative. Now I have a VF2 with a Renishaw tool presetter and a probe with a broken tip. I've used the presetter and probe combo before, but with not having a probe how do I find my WPC Z?

I'm guessing touch off my tool to the work Z, then add the tool length to the Z value?

Thanks!

Re: Tool offsets and Z depth

If you touch your tool on work Z, all you have to do is hit "tool offset measure" in the Z work offset page.

Re: Tool offsets and Z depth

Jog your Z down and use a set of gage blocks to measure your Z from the table to the spindle nose. Add the height of gage blocks to your Z distance and write that number down. Now for setting your Z for the program. Just measure from where you want your Z to the table and subtract it from your Overall Z and enter that number in for your workoffset. That way you can still use the tool probe. Or you can buy just the stylus for about $150.