585,771 active members*
4,491 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

To Mach 4 or not to mach 4?

Hi Guys,

I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the new mach 4 software? I believe the hobby version has been released, but I haven't seen hardly any info on people using it yet?

I'm more than half way through a retrofit of a bridgeport series 1 cnc and have got the 3 axis running under mach3 control, however some old annoyances have come back to haunt me... I use mach3 with a plasma cutter and had a world of trouble getting a PC to run it correctly. Now with my latest project there is very strange things going on, which can only be software issues. Also, I find the MPG function less than useless! Long story short, I've fallen out of love with mach3!

I'm wondering if anyone has tested the software in the real world? I'm going to test the demo out over the holidays, but of course it won't be interfaced with a machine. any pointers would be useful, hardware used etc.

Thanks

Re: To Mach 4 or not to mach 4?

drumsticksplint

Mach4 should be Ok, for what you want to do, Mach3 should be working very well for your Bridgeport as well, some others are running the Eding CNC control on Bridgeports & love it, I'm going to try the Eding cnc control myself on a Bridgeport,within the next few weeks, it has a lot of features built in & ready to go, Handwheel is one
    Mactec54

Hey Mactec54,

Thanks for the reply! I have been emailing Bert from Eding cnc over the last week or so about his products, and I'm really impressed! However, he suggested to go for the ethernet control for an industrial environment, which means the cards are a bit more expensive, but yes I do really like the look of his products. Which system are you looking at trying on your bridgeport? Also, what drive system are you using, AC/DC servos or steppers?

I liked the fact that mach3 was expandable as I was hoping to build a custom control panel which means many inputs, something the lower end of the eding boards lack in my opinion. This is why I was enquiring about mach4, but I think I'm a little early yet?

drumsticksplint

I'm using Dmm AC servos, I have the Bridgeport running with Mach3, But are trying different Controls Motor Drives Etc, I had Yaskawa AC Servos/Drives & Softservo Control on this this machine, I just try & compare the different systems
    Mactec54

Eding is great for me!

But i've got a simple chinese wood router.