584,802 active members*
4,926 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

TMC 1000 mill newbie

Hi everyone!
    I am new here and do not know if this is going into the right area or not so I will ask questions...probably lots. I plan on machining aluminum and steel with it.

I bought a TMC 100 mill at an auction. It was very reasonably priced so I plan on spending some money to get his machine living again. It came with no power supply or software. So my 1st question is... what is a good kit or set up that will get this thing up and running quickly ? I have limited machining and electronics knowledge. I have read about the Gecko 540 and a few other things but I was hoping anyone with knowledge could guide me towards the best stepper motors to use. I would like a double shaft to allow to add hand wheels at a certain point.I need something that is pretty much plug and play as I do not want to spend a lot of time putting this machine together. Anyone with experience with this mill or the guidance for the proper set up I will need is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

Re: TMC 1000 mill newbie

Anyone? Please!
    I have read through quite a few posts in order to try and see if I could figure it all out myself but I am afraid that I will not choose the right items and still will not be sure I have found and purchased what it is I will exactly need. I know I will need a Gecko 540, a power supply, stepper motors (which ones are best for this mill am not sure), a break out board ??, and mach 3. Is there any company that supplies a complete kit to retrofit this machine? Are there any extra pieces of tech I should consider while spending money on this build?
    Thank you

Lee

It is a TMC 1000...In some forums it is called a Prolight 1000. I have read through that thread and lots of good information. The steppers he used are 3 Nema 23 387 motors. I can only find Nema 24 387 are they the same and are these the best choice? The Nema 23 are 381/382 oz are these the same as the 387? He also has the original power supply box and changed a few things inside...I do not have any other parts other than the mill. I will investigate this Keling place and I appreciate your response
    Cheers

If you want an all in one source, I would talk to Ahren at CNC Router Parts. You can look at the 3 axis packages here.
    I bought a 4 axis package from him for my plasma cutter and have really enjoyed not having to trouble shoot anything. Pretty much plug and play.

Top notch service and wiring diagrams available there too.
    Nema 23 CNC Electronics | CNCRouterParts
    Lee

I found this at Keling
    4-Axis NEMA23 CNC Kit (48V/ 7.3A/ 381 oz-in / KL-6050) | Automation Technology Inc
    Will this kit give me everything I need to get this machine up and running aside from mach 3?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    If you want an all in one source, I would talk to Ahren at CNC Router Parts. You can look at the 3 axis packages here.
    I bought a 4 axis package from him for my plasma cutter and have really enjoyed not having to trouble shoot anything. Pretty much plug and play.

Top notch service and wiring diagrams available there too.
    Nema 23 CNC Electronics | CNCRouterParts
    Thank you so much LeeWay. I really do appreciate the help.

After having done the wiring myself a few times and used the C10 breakout board a few times, I would go with the CNC router parts kit.
    Those drives have had some issues in the past from other Form members. I have had glitches on two C10 breakout boards.
    I have had zero glitches out of the stuff I got from Ahren. This is especially true if you do not want to waste any time.
    Lee

I will send them an inquiry about the parts needed. I will heed your advice on the C10's and point well made.

Hi
    I answer your questions in my build thread
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/vertic...rum-posts.html
    You will have to read all my posting about the conversion
    I did buy another TMC 1000 and used the original control box gutted it and added a power supply and a Gecko 540 with new steppers
    Frank

Thank you Frank. Some unexpected expenses came up for me so I put this project on hold for the time being but will be getting busy on it again hopefully shortly. I appreciate the help and may have the need to ask you a few other questions if you do not mind.
    Cheers
    Doug