584,871 active members*
5,327 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > thinking about a bmc20 in garage, have questions

thinking about a bmc20 in garage, have questions

I am thinking about picking up a 91 Hurco bmc20 with 30K hours on it, and looks to be a pretty decent machine. Questions are;
    1. I know I should be able to get it under my detached garages 8' door, but can this machine fit under a 7' door? I really rather have it in my attached garage.
    2. I was looking at maybe using an American Rotary cnc phase converter, has anyone used one on a bmc20? What size is needed for the 7.5/10hp spindle?
    3. How do you prep one for transport?
    4. Very vague general question, but guestimate at rigging/shipping 45 miles. Pick up at a residental pull barn, drop off at a residental garage.
    thanks all

Re: thinking about a bmc20 in garage, have questions

I cannot see it fitting under a 7' door. Looks like you would need at least 8'.

There is a hole through the middle of the casting, behind the head, that you will want to put a 1" or so bar through to secure the counterweight. You will have to either have the machine under power and have someone jog the head up/down until you can see the hole through the counterweight to slide the bar all the way through to the other side or you will need to jack up the head with a bottle jack or some such.

You want to put a wood block(s) stacked on the table under the head and ease the head down to rest on the wood. Take care not to rest on the spindle, but rather on the outside housing.

I took nylon ratchet straps and secured the table in both directions.

I had a 10hp rotary converter for several years and before getting my BMC20, decide to upgrade to a PhasePerfect 20hp (purchased through American Rotary). The 10hp rotary converter may work, but I would recommend calling American Rotary and they should be able to advise. From what I have read (no expert here) some CNC equipment does not like dealing with the generated leg from rotary converters.

Cheers,
    Gary

I have a md1 and md3. I can run both on an American rotary 20hp Cnc rated. In my new shop I am going to get the phase perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it the Ultimax II control ?

My KMB-3 has Ultimax II and you can run the control on 220-240 volt single phase
    The spindle motor and coolant need 3 phase and I used a home made rotary convertor for the spindle, and then switched to a VFD
    to allow quieter operations and variable speeds
    If you have electronic speed control, you may need 3 phase for the control unit itself, a 12-15 HP rotary would be better.
    Phase Perfect is the Cat's Meow --however

Rich

It is the ultimax III, or so it is listed as, I don't know hurco's control at all so I could not tell the difference.
    thanks guys

If you look at the controller with the monitor. If there is a removable hand pendant on the left side it is a iii if not it is a ii

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, a III, as it does have a removable pendant