585,722 active members*
4,300 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

The best way to learn CAD

Hey guys I have no experience in this field but I would like to learn CAD for designing parts and such.What is the best way for a total newbie to get started learning I have 15 years in the autobody industry but would like to learn new things.Thank you for any help there is alot of info out there to confuse you.

Re: The best way to learn CAD

Hey Dude
    the best way to start is to get a demo or educational cad application, solidworks is a good one and Rhinoceros 3d , but there are many out there,
    go onto youtube there are heaps of tutorial videos showing from scratch.
    The key to good design is simplicity , in geometry and creation , it may sound crazy but you dont want to get into a bad habit of messy creations,
    learn how to draw a line or a circle or a rectangle, it is also important to learn the terminology used to create geometry , otherwise you can get a little lost if you don't know what a fillet is, other than what you eat!!
    next is to think of a part you want to design and just play until you get it right, next thing you know you'll be into it
    cheers

First you need to pick a CAD program; they are mostly completely different from each other. Learning to use one doesn't translate into skill in using a different one.

Do you want to do work in a commercial field? Than you should go with an industry standard: solidworks or autocad inventor for solid modeling, autocad for 2D work. Down side: $5000+ a copy. You can get student versions if you are a student, that will last for a year. Might be worth taking a course at the local vo-tech college to get you access to studentsiftware. If you are a veteran, solidworks will also let you get the student version.

Do you want to design stuff for yourself? Now the field opens up, and the options are much less expensive. Rhinocad and alibre are two common programs.

How to learn? I went through solidworks, and I started by working through a bunch of Paul Tran's and then David Plancard's books, which are excellent. These programs are not something that you will learn by just fiddling with them. You need a structured approach.

SolidWorks 2014 Part I - Basic Tools: Paul Tran: 9781585038534: Amazon.com: Books

I started learning rhino3d, than went to Alibre, than to autocad, finally to Soldworks. I like Solidworks the best; i just seems to make sense to me and is relatively easy to use.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Grab a night course at community college
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Please have a look 5 Reasons You Need CAD-CAM Software in CNC Machines for CAD and CAM software detailed information. In this you can see list of current software available and How CAD and CAM Software Helps..

If you want to download free CAD-CAM software for practice visit Ajan CNC Machines Software

If you have any query PM..
    www.ajancnc.com

Autodesk 360 has free online, non commercial, designing software if you're able to stay online while you use the software. That's the only thing out there free that I know of. Otherwise you'll just have to pick one and stick with youtube tutorials. Like others said look at a local community college course and stick with they teach. And if you sign up you'll qualify for student versions. Good luck

I use TurboCad and the way I learned it was to watch video tutorials. Not the best in the World, but CadCourse had decent enough Tutes to get going.
    I broke it down into just learning the 2D basics first.
    Turbocad is nice in that you can turn off the 3D stuff if just learning 2D. That makes it far less intimidating. Practice, practice and then practice. Learn the keyboard short cuts.
    Try more complicated drawings and learn those tools one tool at a time. Many of the 3D tools are kinda like the 2D, but more powerful.
    It's kinda fun learning CAD. Especially when you get pretty good at it. You will be surprised at how second nature it all becomes. I still try to learn a new tool often. At least to see how they work.
    When you can do a 3D model of a bolt or spring that is accurate, you are getting good at it.
    Lee

What ever CAD you choose they all require three P's...........Patience, Perseverance and Persistence.

tmarks11 said this and it is oh so true " I like Solidworks the best; i just seems to make sense to me and is relatively easy to use."

Some click with a persons thinking process and some don't, hitting on the one that does can be difficult but all can be learned.

Ken

Disclaimer: I work for Siemens.

Solid Edge is a great, easy-to-use and powerful CAD package. It has tutorials that will get you up and running in a week.

Solid Edge also supports two modes of modeling, either traditional feature-based modeling or "direct modeling" which is called Synchronous Technology.

You can get a free educational version.

Steve

Flying helicopters is easy, skiing is easy, programming is easy, it's all easy once you know how but don't even think designing even a some what complex model or to efficiently use any 3D Modler/designer is "Easy", they all say that and it is very misleading.

That said, it is definitely learnable by anyone just prepare yourself for a serious learning curve with lots of questions and seat time to model something beyond a box and you will get there..

Of course you could bypass all that difficult and time consuming effort by going to Staples and purchasing the "Easy Button" if you believe in that

CAD was most definitely the most time consuming software I have ever had to learn. Definitely fraught with lots of hairpin curves. Head scratching is commonplace while learning it. CAM is a cake walk compared to CAD.
    But, for most of the basics, 2D CAD is all that is needed initially depending on what type of work you are doing. If you are only cutting out artistic profiles in steel or wood, then you may not even need CAD. Corel Draw or some other graphics package would suit you better.
    I only use 2D work for my router, plasma cutter and even my lathe. I just draw the profiles and holes. That works on my mills as well for the most part.
    I only draw in 3D to use Cut 3D. I do it for renders of the projects as well and to make sure that the dimensions and features on multiple parts will actually fit together and see how they look. That isn't necessary for the bulk of my needs though, so 2D only should work fine for a time.
    Lee

Wow thanks guys lots of great info to look over and explore this is an area I have wanted to get into and I think it's time.

I gotta disagree. Now it's true I've been doing CAD for 25 odd years, but I've seen a lot of CAD software in my day.

But it has all boiled down to pretty easy to use stuff these days.

Basically, everything is a consequence of a 2D sketch. You draw a 2D profile, an then you extrude it or revolve it to either add geometry or cut it away.

Solid Edge has free educational versions, and I think they are working on deploying a trial version.

Steve

go to school and learn it that way . trust me . i go to itt tech for drafting design and its not like drawing on a napkin

There's really no need to go to school to learn CAD. Especially with so many online forums to turn to today for help if you get stuck on something.

If you can understand the idea of drawing a shape on a 2D plane and then extruding or revolving that shape through space to make or cut away material, then you can do CAD.

Steve