585,951 active members*
4,060 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Table top and tool touch up stone recommendations

Table top and tool touch up stone recommendations

I have been using an old Arkansas stone to take burrs off my top but I would like something easier to use and better.
    Any recommendations on a stone that is good to flatten/de-but the top of the table and bottom of the vise?
    Also, my Tormach HSS boring tools need touching up. I have a good grinder but would like to use a smaller stone to touch them up. Any recommendations of a mfg. that makes good touch-up stones?
    Thanks
    CR

Re: Table top and tool touch up stone recommendations

I use a stone as well and have a dia-sharp diamond sharpening card for carbide and touching up edges. What is wrong with your stones?

I only have the one which is long and skinny for sharpening kitchen knives
    It is hard to hold when I try to knock down my table. Plus it is a soft stone

I use an 8" DMT DuoSharp diamond stone for all of my sharpening needs in both shop and kitchen, carbide and steel. DMT WM8EF-WB 8-Inch DuoSharp Plus Bench Stone-Extra Fine/Fine With Base - Sharpening Stones - Amazon.com The DuoSharp comes with a very stable base that can also be used as a hand hone with the built in handle. Also only water is needed not messy oil. BTW resurfacing that Arkansas stone is done the the DuoSarp diamond stone.

Don Clement

I use one of these, and love it.
    Coarse and fine grit, all in one stone.
    $3.00 at Victor Machinery
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1480.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	253588

We use a round stone, about 5" diameter. Has kind of a grove around it to act like a handle. I'll see if I can get a name off one, I know there is one always at the Blanchard grinder.

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    We use a round stone, about 5" diameter. Has kind of a grove around it to act like a handle. I'll see if I can get a name off one, I know there is one always at the Blanchard grinder.
    Sounds like one that Tormach recommended a while back. It looks like it is a Norton JB74, 4-in OD x 1-1/2-in tall and different grits on each face. Forgot where I got mine, but Zoro sells them for $40 and it looks like McMaster-Carr sells the same thing for $22:

McMaster-Carr

Mine seems to work pretty well for taking burrs and bumps of the table.

Mike

Before buying from MMC, call and ask if that product is the Norton JB74. They don't like to call out manufacturer's names in the catalog but will supply detailed specs on request.

Thanks Mike
    That is the one I was looking for that I saw in the old Tormach video
    Thanks also for the MC advise
    Cr

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Sounds like one that Tormach recommended a while back. It looks like it is a Norton JB74, 4-in OD x 1-1/2-in tall and different grits on each face. Forgot where I got mine, but Zoro sells them for $40 and it looks like McMaster-Carr sells the same thing for $22:

McMaster-Carr

Mine seems to work pretty well for taking burrs and bumps of the table.

Mike

Before buying from MMC, call and ask if that product is the Norton JB74. They don't like to call out manufacturer's names in the catalog but will supply detailed specs on request.

Related question, how do you clean your stones? After typing that I realize it sounds... wrong. But the question stands

I have been thining about your question and don't have any clue. I think this would be worth a call to Norton.

Quote Originally Posted by FuriousGeorge View Post
    Related question, how do you clean your stones? After typing that I realize it sounds... wrong. But the question stands

Quote Originally Posted by FuriousGeorge View Post
    Wash with mineral spirits/kerosene. Level and resurface with a diamond stone or silicon carbide paper on a flat surface.

A small stone comes in handy for the t-slot faces. "a 1/2x3/4x4 stone used for tuning skis"
    I stone those faces before setting vise, and it helps the vise keys set and position cleanly.
    Seams like t-slot clamp systems burr those edges now and then or I ding them moving stuff around.
    md