585,992 active members*
5,470 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Surface Rough Help!

Surface Rough Help!

Hello,

I have a quick question on Surface Rough in Mastercam.
    Could any one take a look at my attached file, it's Mastercam X5 version.

When I use this Surface Rough Pocket, the tool cuts in the air, wasting a lot of time.
    I tried all the rough operation in Mastercam, but I don't seem to find the best one yet.

My question is what would be best operation based on my Stock and the final model?

Thank you in advance,

Ken
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stock.jpg   model.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: Surface Rough Help!

Hey Ken

I opened your file in X7 to see what kind of functionality MC has these days. There is a "toolpath" called "stock model" where you can select your stock solid and reference selected toolpaths. I played with it a little, even browsed the docs, but could not get it to work. Added to which, this may not be available in X5.
    Ray
    NX 9.0.3.4 MP1

Hi Ray,
    Thanks for your input, the file I attached has the solid stock(starting stock) and solid model(end retsult that I need), and I set up these myself in this case.
    My question was how best I could do surface rough, because there's a lot of material on the surface area still to be removed(of course I would run a rougher to open up the window
    before I can start surface rough). So basically you're saying there's no good option for me in X5 and I have draw tool paths for rough, manually? Thanks again,

Ken

The stock you define at the outset under Machine Group-1/Properties-3-AXIS VMC has no effect on toolpaths (that I can see). I think the answer you're looking for is in the mill toolpath "Stock Model", and I believe its new to X7. Right click in operations manager and see if its there.
    Attachment 257666
    Attachment 257668
    Ray
    NX 9.0.3.4 MP1

The "stock model" is for initial setup for display purposes, it can even be a solid shape, or a separate MCX file

but... this is not used as a remaining stock ( except for the highest Z limit of the stock ) for toolpath calculation

there is 2 methods
    1- create a series of toolpath operations that would give the shape that you want to start at....then "ghost" those path to stop post processing
    - and then use "Restmill" strategies that look at all the previous operations

2- there is a possibility of calling in a STL cad model of your starting shape.....do NOT make that STL model too complicated( accuracy setting is in the "Options" button when doing a "Save As" near the Accept button...(you get memory allocation errors when calculating further toolpaths, or long toolpath calculation times)
    - when you create the operation, hit the "Geometry" line (Op manager), you have a dialog box that appears for adding additional surfaces, check surfaces points, boundaries & so on....
    - there is a button for "Cad File" put the STL file in that area ....& see what you get

If you wish to save an STL file any stage of "Verify", you need to set the verify options before running it thru ( to be able to save an STL and the accuracy setting....again, set it to a coarse value...not fine)

Ken

Superman"s methods are what you're stuck with in X5, but should you ever get your hands on X6 or later, there's a much easier way using the stock model/opti-rest combination. I finally got it to work and its pretty slick.
    Attachment 257844
    Attachment 257846
    Attachment 257842
    Ray
    NX 9.0.3.4 MP1