584,812 active members*
5,395 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Stepper motor goes in the direction it wants even though the software says up or down

Question Stepper motor goes in the direction it wants even though the software says up or down

Imagine this : you press the left arrow key, expecting the X axis to move left ... it does ... once in a while. If you repeat this often, the software registers a negative X but the motor turns either one way or the other ... randomly from each keypress. Anyone had that symptom before ?

When installing the control panel to the wood back plane, there was a spark ... I burned something ... I replaced the burned wire and I tried interchanging things to get that it was the driver that was not working properly *I though) ... now that I have a new driver, I discover that the problem persist ...

I have to check if I burned a DB25 card or the smoothstepper itself. I have to get my oscilloscope running ...

Attachment 233526

Attachment 233528

Any ideas anyone ?

Mike quite perplexed at the randomness of the direction of the stepper motor ...

Lightbulb Re: Stepper motor goes in the direction it wants even though the software says up or

Found the culprit I have XLR style connectors for the motors and the internal part was broken ... cold soldering it appears !

Resoldered 2 connectors and everything is moving fine ! What a ride

The randomness of the direction pointed to a broken wire ... and that was exactly it ! Thanks for archives lol