Hi everyone

Firstly, I hope everyone is enjoying the sunshine (not very common in Manchester in the UK).

I have a CO2 80watt Laser - 2 years old. Today the laser was running a cut job and suddenly started to cut in one area rather than following the path of the vector file. It then shot over to the left and stayed there and would not move to the front and back of the machine using the control pad buttons. I have turned the machine off and when the machine is turned back on the control panel states 'Datum...' but the laser head does not move to its starting point and remains on the left hand side of the machine. The control panel also still states Datum.

So issues can be ruled out these are the steps that I have followed: -

Checked that the belts are unobstructed. Both axis move smoothly and without noise in all directions.
Checked the USB port and reloaded the file - the laser head still remained in the left hand position with no movement.
Unlocked the casing for the electronics of the machine. There are three Step Motor Drivers. The middle driver that controls the x axis is flashing red. I have swapped the plugs on the Y axis motor with the x axis to see if the driver had a fault and the Y step motor started flashing started flashing red. So I am presuming that it is a problem with the motor rather than the driver?

Please can someone advise me if this is a problem with the control panel or potentially a problem with the motor. And how do I find out?