585,749 active members*
3,784 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Square tubing profiles for design project

Hi, I am looking for the 'official' design specifications for 6"x6"x1/2" wall chromoly tubing (4130)? I want to design a weldment in solidworks but I don't know what the correct cross sections sizes are, with square tubing they have rounded edges so I am looking for the correct sizes/drawings. Does anybody know where I can source the sizing information?

Re: Square tubing profiles for design project

Totally depends on the vendor. Ask them.

Cheers
    Roger

I thought there was a standard based on wall thickness. Something like inside corner = wall thickness, which implies that outside corner = 2(wall thickness). I'm sure there's a source to cite if you go looking.

If I remember correctly the radius on the corners of the tube is ~2x the thickness of the wall with a +/-10% variation. So 6x6x1/2 tubing can have .9" to 1.1" radius.

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwatchers View Post
    If I remember correctly the radius on the corners of the tube is ~2x the thickness of the wall with a +/-10% variation. So 6x6x1/2 tubing can have .9" to 1.1" radius.
    Thank you very much Winterwatchers, that is exactly what I wanted to know and can work with. Much appreciated.

Thanks, I did google around but didn't get anything solid. As pointed out by others it seems to depend on vendor. I'm happy to average it out I just need an amount to offset from each corner so I can space some plate on the front surface. I appreciate the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwatchers View Post
    ASTM A554 defines HOW you measure the corner radius.
    To the best of my knowledge, it does NOT define what the radius should be. That is up to the vendor.

Cheers

The radius on square tubing can vary quite a bit. We have a part on our product that requires a certain radius on square tubing. You would be surprised how much the radius varies from one steel supplier to the next.

Go to the vendor and measure the profile you want yourself.. in the process you'll find some other profiles you could use

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V-1060D.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	278241Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blow-Molding-Machine750.jpg 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	278243
    Job: Oversea CNC or plastic blow molding Machinery Engineer
    Requirement & Payment terms
    1.Should take responsible for JASU brand promotion.
    2.Without basic*salary. You are a Freelance.
    3.Will get a certain reward when you introducing customer to visit our Guangzhou factory. (should have the customer’s testimonial)
    4.Will get a huge reward when the customer buy our machine who is introduced by you. (should have the customer’s testimonial)
    5.Maintenance fee is calculated by each successful maintenance job. (within the warranty period)JASU will pay for the replacement parts and your maintenance fee. (without the warranty period)Customer will pay for it.
    6.Many years of CNC or plastic blow molding machine operation experience or maintenance experience. Know the machinery market well is preferred. The position of the working place is in overseas. The local people is preferred.

Oversea Market Manager Alex Xu
    E-mail: [email protected]
    Mobile:+86 13928762865
    Website:JASU-CNC machining center,Bottle blowing machine,Injection blow molding machine Manufacturers & Suppliers from China.-JASU www.jasu-cnc.com www.jasugroup.com Guangzhou Jasu Precision Machinery Co., Ltd. - Injection Blow Molding Machine,CNC Machine Center
    Guangzhou JASU Precision Machinery Co.,Ltd is a wholly owned subsidiary of JASU International Machinery Group, which is held by SUNNY(HK) Group, was found based on the cooperation of Taiwan and Germany specialized machine company. Our core business include: Guangzhou JASU precision machinery co.,LTD,Suzhou ZHONGGU precision machinery co.,LTD., Taiwan JASU machinery industry co., LTD., Germany KRAUSS machinery co., LTD.
    After 20 years of development, JASU is growing at a high speed with strong business development foundation. Sincerely welcome the masses of overseas cnc machine operation and maintenance personnel to join us. Our oversea markets maintenance need your joining.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V-1060D.jpg 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	278241Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blow-Molding-Machine750.jpg 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	278243
    Job: Oversea CNC or plastic blow molding Machinery Engineer
    Requirement & Payment terms
    1.Should take responsible for JASU brand promotion.
    2.Without basic*salary. You are a Freelance.
    3.Will get a certain reward when you introducing customer to visit our Guangzhou factory. (should have the customer’s testimonial)
    4.Will get a huge reward when the customer buy our machine who is introduced by you. (should have the customer’s testimonial)
    5.Maintenance fee is calculated by each successful maintenance job. (within the warranty period)JASU will pay for the replacement parts and your maintenance fee. (without the warranty period)Customer will pay for it.
    6.Many years of CNC or plastic blow molding machine operation experience or maintenance experience. Know the machinery market well is preferred. The position of the working place is in overseas. The local people is preferred.

Oversea Market Manager Alex Xu
    E-mail: [email protected]
    Mobile:+86 13928762865
    Website:JASU-CNC machining center,Bottle blowing machine,Injection blow molding machine Manufacturers & Suppliers from China.-JASU www.jasu-cnc.com 佳速国际机械集团-数控机床|注拉吹吹瓶机|驱动部件 Guangzhou Jasu Precision Machinery Co., Ltd. - Injection Blow Molding Machine,CNC Machine Center
    Guangzhou JASU Precision Machinery Co.,Ltd is a wholly owned subsidiary of JASU International Machinery Group, which is held by SUNNY(HK) Group, was found based on the cooperation of Taiwan and Germany specialized machine company. Our core business include: Guangzhou JASU precision machinery co.,LTD,Suzhou ZHONGGU precision machinery co.,LTD., Taiwan JASU machinery industry co., LTD., Germany KRAUSS machinery co., LTD.
    After 20 years of development, JASU is growing at a high speed with strong business development foundation. Sincerely welcome the masses of overseas cnc machine operation and maintenance personnel to join us. Our oversea markets maintenance need your joining.