584,879 active members*
4,965 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > Sprutcam works okay with AutoCAD 2014?

Sprutcam works okay with AutoCAD 2014?

Getting ready to take the Tormach plunge and have decided on Sprutcam. Does this work well with autoCAD 2014? I've drafted 2 3d models in CAD but before investing any more design time before my machine shows up, wanted the boards advice on this CAD platform files uploading and working well with Sprutcam. I have access to AutoCAD 2014 at work, on my take home laptop. Before I go down the road of purchasing the mill, want to know if I need $ for a different CAD platform. Thanks in advance, Jim

Re: Sprutcam works okay with AutoCAD 2014?

I would think it would work fine as long as it will export .iges or .igs files.

Sprut will import several file types, I only use the .igs files exported from Rhino 4, and it works fine.
    mike sr

I run Solidworks for CAD and use the SprutCam addin to export .iges, no issues to report. I have also programmed and machined parts for customers that were .iges and .step files that originated from Autocad, though I do not know what version. The only file issues that I have had are with .stl, but the 'sew faces' function in Sprut has always taken care of it.

I have used Solidworks exporting .iges files to SC7 (and its precursors) for five plus years without any problems at all. I am sure SC 8/9 will work just as well.

IMHO sput works best with igs files. It reads the data / model features and generates good cam operations from this.. If your acad install can export to iges your set if not you will need a program that converts acad drawings to iges.

I use rhino and acadlt2014
    I use rhino to convert to iges for sprut
    If you can convert to iges you are gtg
    If not rhino is a pretty cheap yet powerful 3d program that can convert pretty much any file type.
    Congratulations

AutoCAD can export iges directly. No need to convert anything.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

It looks like you can't save as and select igs as a file type but if you enter the export in IGS command in the command prompt, it creates a file in the proper format. You have to click on the solid model itself before the export will execute. Thank you for the replies,
    Jim