584,846 active members*
4,528 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Sprutcam 9

Page 1 of 4 123

Sprutcam 9

Loaded Sprutcam to do a little work and noticed this announcement.

http://download.sprutcam.com/downloa...SprutCAMv9.pdf

Anyone know when this will be available? I don't see any dates on their press materials.

Would love to pick up the HSM paths on my current license!
    --Bryan

Re: Sprutcam 9

yes, I wanted to know more info seems that the guys at
    SprutCAM forum (Powered by Invision Power Board) usually know a bit more

I really want to know how are posts being handled, i'm still on sprutcam 7 and finally figured out how to monkey around with the post editor and have one just the way I like it, well 95% but im just being picky heh

I have lots of concerns, I usually use the 2d contour for everything, it seems to be the most efficient and cleanest code generated by sprutcam. All the regular operations generate at times way too much g code, a lot can be cleaned up and done better.

That is one issue not as efficient g-code. Next up the lack of start and end for tool paths really annoys me, I try to use fixture and restricted zones, but a number of times I just do not want it to plunge in an area and want in a different area for example were I draw a 2d hole for pre drill.

We have no control of start/end points only in few other operations 2d contour and 3d contour I believe.

My next issue is lack of Feed option for finish pass in some of the operations, that is a no brainer that you want a better finish on the finishing pass... what I do is duplicate operation and then change the parameters... which takes time and messing through parameters rough vs finish etc...

I hope sprutCAM 9 brings some if not all those issues, maybe 8 addresses those to a degree?

Quote Originally Posted by drutort View Post

We have no control of start/end points only in few other operations 2d contour and 3d contour I believe.

maybe 8 addresses those to a degree?
    I use 8 and I can move start and end points to any point on the tool path. And you can do lead in and lead out arcs or line extensions of 2d paths also for backlash and other reasons I don't fully understand.
    As for special or other operations I setup all my own custom rough and finish operations or whatever and name and save them in list for quick addition to project.
    As for g-code I have no idea what is efficient or not, so I have no comment other then it works and it makes the parts that I design so far very accurately.

md

md.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    I use 8 and I can move start and end points to any point on the tool path. And you can do lead in and lead out arcs or line extensions of 2d paths also for backlash and other reasons I don't fully understand.
    As for special or other operations I setup all my own custom rough and finish operations or whatever and name and save them in list for quick addition to project.
    As for g-code I have no idea what is efficient or not, so I have no comment other then it works and it makes the parts that I design so far very accurately.

md

md.
    yes I know those 2d contour and 3d contour have it, but what about rough/finish waterline/plane or the other "automatic" operations, do not have the option at least not in sprutcam 7?

This becomes a big issue when you have roughing endmills that are not center cutting, sadly SprutCAM does not have a definition for none center cutting end mill. This requires a pre drill, and requires a start/end point for plunging of the none center cutting endmills.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Turner View Post
    Anyone know when this will be available? I don't see any dates on their press materials.

Would love to pick up the HSM paths on my current license!
    --Bryan
    well the question was asked on FB,

https://www.facebook.com/SprutCAMsoftware

and seems that the reply stated some time this or next week? though I would guess so long as nothing major shows up, which sometimes some bug is discovered, and this could possibly be a beta test, i believe they did that before a sort of pre release test pilot that let users try it out, and report issues then they patched them out and the official stable release was out.

There's a video for the new hole recognition feature in that Facebook link and the feature looks very powerful.

Mike

yes I know those 2d contour and 3d contour have it, but what about rough/finish waterline/plane or the other "automatic" operations, do not have the option at least not in sprutcam 7?

This becomes a big issue when you have roughing endmills that are not center cutting, sadly SprutCAM does not have a definition for none center cutting end mill. This requires a pre drill, and requires a start/end point for plunging of the none center cutting endmills.
    Most every operation I see defaults to exterior of part area of possible. Areas that form pockets with no way to engage from outside will plunge. If you drill a hole in that area from what I see sprut will see this hole and start all plunge tool paths in that hole or area. Something I have noticed anyway. Only reason for my note was you stated you used mostly 2d operations and I wanted to let you know you can move those around at will.
    As a small note from what I see of this software it can be modified to do almost anything you want. You just have to know how to do it, not that I do
    I would guess most good cam programs have an open architecture to adapt to different machines, tools and users desires.
    Something to consider.
    md

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Most every operation I see defaults to exterior of part area of possible. Areas that form pockets with no way to engage from outside will plunge. If you drill a hole in that area from what I see sprut will see this hole and start all plunge tool paths in that hole or area. Something I have noticed anyway. Only reason for my note was you stated you used mostly 2d operations and I wanted to let you know you can move those around at will.
    As a small note from what I see of this software it can be modified to do almost anything you want. You just have to know how to do it, not that I do
    I would guess most good cam programs have an open architecture to adapt to different machines, tools and users desires.
    Something to consider.
    md
    Thanks for the info, I did find out about the hole option in the waterline and other operations, but it still does not function as it should, here is my testing on the sprutcam forum, picture and original files

Anyway to get waterline and other ops to plunge in predrilled hole as start? - SprutCAM forum

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    There's a video for the new hole recognition feature in that Facebook link and the feature looks very powerful.

Mike
    yes that feature recognition looks promising, my concern is will we have an inch library, because if not we have to build it manually and that takes a lot of time, they do have there metric library. I saw that morph looks really nice, I tried to grasp all of it, but its hard when you do not have the software to mess around with. I hope its good for 3 axis, because the examples they were giving mostly were dealing with 4-5 axis machining

Thanks for the info, I did find out about the hole option in the waterline and other operations, but it still does not function as it should, here is my testing on the sprutcam forum, picture and original files

Anyway to get waterline and other ops to plunge in predrilled hole as start? - SprutCAM forum

I should have noted I have a total of 4 months experience with sprut
    And just when I think I have it under control it hands me my hat!
    It does start doing some strange things and at times.
    happy cam er lol
    md

md - when things get funky in SprutCAM it is can be a good idea to shut the program down and restart it. That sometimes clears the cobwebs out of it's brain.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    md - when things get funky in SprutCAM it is can be a good idea to shut the program down and restart it. That sometimes clears the cobwebs out of it's brain.

Mike
    LOL very true, I saw many issues with memory in SC7, and all kinds of stuff it just refusing to give a tool path and what not, restart BAM works fine haha

LOL very true, I saw many issues with memory in SC7, and all kinds of stuff it just refusing to give a tool path and what not, restart BAM works fine haha
    Yes, sprut is what I call a memory leaker. Some programs like this with large internal data structures lose blocks of memory during use.
    Microsoft c+ compiler is notorious for this if every data variable declared is not initialized and disposed with when done.
    Programming aside, understanding how the programs data is structured has helped me navigate it with few big problems.
    Still As noted above for a long time I was confused as to where it come up with some numbers I would see until it was pointed out that's metric converted to imperial.

The biggest pain for me is I like to copy and paste things.
    As I stated above the data structure is not always declared and initialized correctly. When I copy and paste at times I end up with 1 or 2 bad or corrupt values for parameters.
    Some .0021 feed rate or some other b.s. shows up, if I don't catch these they have a habit of crashing mach when the code is loaded.
    A User could go on and on about goofy stuff like this in many programs, I tend to id the traps and work around them best I can .
    md

Can everyone please go to the FB of the SprutAmerica and when SC9 comes out, let them know that we want it out on time, unlike how SC8 over a year later, the site was not updated in years. This is not acceptable business practice.

https://www.facebook.com/SprutCAMAmerica

I can understand 1-3 months at most, but we should get the product in reasonable time for us USA guys when the authors release it, and they have the product to test in beta and even create the proper, sales docs and help files literature etc...

Just a FYI

SprutCAM 9 Released!

David

Is anybody planning on trying out the SC9 trial while we wait for SprutCAMAmerica to release it?

Mike

Mike
    I downloaded the Sprutcam 9 installer and it stops at the default user and password .

I sent a message to: [email protected].

David

Hmm interesting I can't wait to try it out too

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I'd like to try the trial but have zero free time, so will be looking forward to reports from those on the bleeding edge.

Mike

Page 1 of 4 123