585,975 active members*
4,420 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Splash Guard

Splash Guard

Guys, my splash guard was damaged by the prior owner and I am considering ordering the replacement part and the extended guard.

However, I wanted to see if anyone uses this and if you guys feel it works? If not, I will hold off and build an enclosure.

Thanks.

Re: Splash Guard

Mine is cracked, and I plan on making one out of Lexan similar to the tall one Tormach sells, I can use the extra height at times.
    mike sr

I have both the standard and the tall clear plastic splash guards and find them both useful, the short one for most drilling and end mill ops and the tall one for aggressive facemilling or flycutting.

Tormach also sells a small shield that bolts to the back of their 5" machinist's vise.

Mike

Thanks guys, I went ahead and ordered the damaged piece as well as the taller guard. Hopefully it keeps me pretty dry.

I took the Tormach classes they offered last month and while there saw the new Mill enclosure. They said they will have two different styles for sale this year. Just a thought. Played with the new lathe too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hailman View Post
    I took the Tormach classes they offered last month and while there saw the new Mill enclosure. They said they will have two different styles for sale this year. Just a thought. Played with the new lathe too.
    I saw the blog post about the enclosure, looks really good.

I suspect it is going to be pretty expensive. It did not cost me too much for the splash guard piece and the tall guard, so even if I do get the enclosure, or even build one I won't have lost too much money.

How was the lathe?

Quote Originally Posted by Hailman View Post
    Don't want to derail thread on splash guard . Imho are very useful and leaves the machine open for easy access.
    Being new to cnc milling operations I like at times to be in close looking at indicators...parts and operations also it allows me visual and audio feed back on what the mill is doing.
    Full enclosure would be nice for dust, noise and coolant, maybe someday

Now to derail thread!

How were the classes?
    Been thinking of this for a while. I enjoy learning on my own for the most part, but thinking with no real good plan I am missing important aspects.
    Then again I wonder. Maybe a couple cnc courses at local college would be as good or better and not cost any more after travel is figured in .

Any comments on classes would be great!

Sorry for off topic please post on one of my threads about your experience with classes thanks!
    md