584,830 active members*
5,623 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

SPL-15 Tailstock

Tormach just posted the instruction manual for the tailstock, if anyone is interested in seeing what it looks like.

Attachment 250132

http://www.tormach.com/uploads/824/T...0914A-pdf.html

Looks like I was wrong; doesn't look like it will limit the z-axis movement of the cross slide.

It hasn't shown up in the store yet, but at least there is still forward progress on getting lathe components out.

where is that enclosure again???
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Re: SPL-15 Tailstock

I was able to do testing on one and I love mine so far.. here are some observations.

It does limit it by the width of the base.
    It also limits using boring bars, etc..
    When the z is far right up against the tailstock the x can come down and crash into the tailstock.
    They left off a few steps in that PDF.. For one you need to move that bracket the top arrow is pointing at in your picture or the z axis homing switch will not contact the tailstock before that bracket does unless they modified something else to make it work. You also need to move your coolant hose obviously if it is in the stock location.

Quote Originally Posted by compunerdy View Post
    I was able to do testing on one and I love mine so far..
    You sweet talk Tormach into letting you beta test?

Or did they take pity on you, since you paid to beta test their lathe, so they hooked you up with free stuff?

You aren't hiding a turret or enclosure up your sleeve too, by any chance?

When the z is far right up against the tailstock the x can come down and crash into the tailstock.
    sound like the voice of bitter experience..

That pretty much is what happens on a manual lathe anytime you are using a tailstock... although the results aren't as disastrous, since usually you are moving by hand toward the tailstock and by power away from it. And not moving at 100 ipm either...

It does limit it by the width of the base.
    Without the tailstock in place, can you move the cross slide all the way to the end of the ways, or does it stop a couple of inches short of the end?

What would you say the maximum USEFUL z travel is with the tailstock in place (since the quill would run into your tooling/turret/QCTP if you get too near the tailstock)?
    Tim

It took a lot of begging and pleading I think they just got tired of me pestering them =)

I wish I had the turret or a full enclosure, I am tired of taking a shower every time I use the lathe.

Overall I must say I am happy with the machine so far.

I wish I had the turret or a full enclosure
    Tormach give you any updated arrival date or pricing for an enclosure?

Tormach sure seems reticent to post updates, although I guess when the posted pricing information a couple months in advance of the SPL15 release, it kind of backfired on them when they missed the target by a bit. Once bitten...
    Tim

Nope..

Really cool! I might have to have one! This would help me profile barrels instead of doing it all manually

Tail stock is now available... For $665.

That kind of tells me that the turret option isn't going to be what I would call affordable.

EDIT: to be fair, I guess that price isn't completely out of line. Grizzly charges $450 for a replacement tailstock for the 4003G 12x36 lathe and $650 for replacement for the G9036 13x40 lathe. I was just expecting more like $350-400 range. It is nice to see them continuing rolling out the product line.
    Tim