585,568 active members*
3,718 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > something to clean polishing stones

something to clean polishing stones

I know I used some liquid once upon a time to clean off the build up on stones. But don't remember what it was anyone got any ideas?

Re: something to clean polishing stones

Quote Originally Posted by kling8 View Post
    I know I used some liquid once upon a time to clean off the build up on stones. But don't remember what it was anyone got any ideas?

Fine glass beads or soda blasting, works a treat
    Mactec54

Depends on the stone, the lubricant used when sharpening, the level of contamination.
    If done on a regular basis, a scotchbrite and the same lube you use to sharpen, works quite well. Oil, scrub, wipe clean. Repeat as needed until clean.
    If really clogged, soak in an oil based cleaner (kerosene or other solvent). Still scrub with nylon pad, wipe clean...
    If using a water based lube, soap and hot water work quite well. Be sure to allow time to air dry before oiling again!

Hey I have a round stone and several other hand polishing stones and I use them a lot and they come in handy. I use the go joe hand cleaner as it has abrasive in it and it cleans it up pretty good with water and go joe or whatever similar type hand cleaner is generally used at most shops. As far as stones are concerned I want to add a Arkansas stone to my collection.

Boil them.

If they're clogged up with metal, use something that can dissolve the metal. If it's steel, that would be an acid. If it's aluminum, a strong base would work.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

I love stones yet I am a old school type of man at heart. Arkansas stones seem to be the most amazing to me and they have a lot of different types of them to offer and a breakdown of which ones and grades of color . They all are quite beautiful especially for a machinist who knows the value of stones and grinding right. All of us usually sharpen drills by hand because we have learned. I do not usually grind drills if it is under a certain size as they become quite annoying to do vs ordering more drills which are made on wonderful machines which I do not have nor wish to have or purchase. I must admit being remiss because I need to research which type is best for aluminum. Aluminum seems hard to clean off and never should be used upon a grinding wheel stone as the aluminum builds up into the wheel and will come off if at all when dressed aggressively. If left alone the stone wheel will break apart in use injuring or killing someone. Face masks should be bought for your own protection because for some reason most shops do not keep up with buying and reordering them when they are so used and scratched up they just give up which is not very smart IMHO.. Best regards to you all.