584,830 active members*
5,750 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Vertical Mill, Lathe Project Log > Small lathe build with "ATC" Automatic Toll Changer Turret!
Page 1 of 3 123

Small lathe build with "ATC" Automatic Toll Changer Turret!

I have started this new build with a very large Stepper Motors, the goal is to have a small machine capable to build very short pieces but of about 1" diameter including threading drilling and cutting,

I'm not in fear of the installation of the mechanical parts! so far this is my first CNC project and my true apprehension is to make all the the connections properly, specially to designated the rotation and location of every single tool address.

Re: Small lathe build with "ATC" Automatic Toll Changer Turret!

Well today I actually finish the mechanical part of this Automatic turret. may be tomorrow I'll be posting photos and perhaps an small video of it running! I hope that some people can find in their heart to help me to configure and connect it to my CNC Breakout board!

Hi i wrote an linuxcnc component for an carousel Type atc Mill. Which i Intend also to use on my lathe toolchanger . I put it this Weekend Open Source ,..

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk

Well I have found a total wealth of information of what it is "of what I need" the name is a macro" Subroutine program that get embedded so the machine knows what tool means what position. Now! and I mean it! I will be grateful for any kind of help! I will try to use your programming if you don't mind! thanks !

Well here is some Video of the progress of this CNC "Minilathe project" hope all of you enjoy it and please leave a comment if you have any thing to say about it, thanks. Also "obviously consider to click on the video attachment so you can see my small automatic tool changer working, thank you.
    Attachment 236480Attachment 236482Attachment 236484Attachment 236478

now the only thing that I need is to start to build that macro programming that will allow March3 to find the location of each tool! Any and I mean any direction or help will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Second Update, and progress on "ATC" Automatic Toll Changer Turret!

Attachment 239360Attachment 239358Well I have been wodking on this project almost day an night. I really need it to start to make a few Parts that I sell on Ebay.... so Here his the photographs showing the update and progress specially the pneumatic solenoid for the small tool changer... Feel free to go to you tube and see the rest of the videos, Attachment 239342Attachment 239346Attachment 239348
    Here you can see the new configuration of the Automatic turret... "Not a big deal beside of the stronger spring and place for the conditional switch . And at the end of this pictures I will be posting a few videos of the test on the drivers & stepper motors. Attachment 239364Attachment 239366

CNC Controller box and poor man compressor "ATC" Automatic Toll Changer Turret!

I just can't help my self but to be proud of my small "Small Car Compressor, and 3 Liter bottle of soda as a tank, is light weight and very compact! easy to transport and make it work... Attachment 239368Attachment 239370Attachment 239372

Also I have to say that the advantage of using a high power output power supply for a gaming computer give me the privilege to power the compressor, run the driver from the power supply to move the Automati Toll Changer or ATC Turret" Attachment 239376

and lastly here is the pneumatic solenoid that runs the piston on the small auto change turret... Attachment 239378Attachment 239380finally here you can see a small video of the Z axis running.

Pneumatic actuator with a poor man's compressor "ATC" Automatic Toll Changer Turret!

This is the way that I have decide to make available the air pressure to move the small piston actuator for the automatic tool changer on the lathe! it is a very humble tire inflation compressor, rigged to a 3 Litter polyurethane bottle. the system is rigged to work with a minimum of 65 PSI, even do I have been able to make it work just fine with as little as 45 PSI,

Mark thats Really A nice build .What size is that lathe i would love to see more of the atc build Again Nice job

The lathe is an Harbor Freight 7x10 and now I'm doing the not so happy work of installing the limiting switches. and the RPM sensor! so the first ting that I will be working when I connect it to the computer will be threads... as you can see there are tons of thing that I actually remove them out of the lathe! I just wish I have a way to use the original controller to change the RPM's of the motor directly from the computer in stead of having to do it manually!!

Question about solenoid does it lock the mecanic or is it also designed to take some load ?

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

I don't understand you question... the solenoid is just an electric valve that open and close, If you put power it opens and if you cut the power is close, It is capable to hold pressure back up to 175 PSI, I think that the power consumption at 12V is 200 mAh what make it ideal to use it as a permanent valve, it can hold the open pressure literally for hours without no problems at all. I just purchase a different CNC Breakout board that actually have 3 solenoids I plan to use one of them to turn the solenoid. so I can change my tools as needed,

I hope that I have actually answer the question. and that what I say actually make sense!

Sorry yes you are correct question what does the splendid Drive (i Mixed it up with Magnet Operated device ) is your atc Driven by Stepper and the solenoid just operate Lock unlockcodes Operation ?

And now i saw the Video you Lock unlock by Air ,.. Thx

Limiting Switches.. "ATC" Automatic Toll Changer Turret!

Well in the spirit of what is fear! Here is all the work that I have been doing and specially the way that I have decide to attack the problems and obstacles of placing the "Stupid (!@#@!~@#$%^&*&^%$%) Limiting switches.... I have to be very honest this most be the most tedious and boring part of the hole job! Attachment 239870Attachment 239872[ATTACH=CONFIG]239874 This was perhaps the one that make me lose it! [/ATTACH]Attachment 239876 and here is the way that I plan to make sure that the RPM counter use my interruptor IR LED System.... Attachment 239880Attachment 239882Attachment 239878

And finally here it is the piece of resistance, the conditional switch... for the automatic tool changer.. Just a mock and I'm just placing the switch in place before the final installation... Hopefully the next time I post I will be sowing my wiring skills and connecting as much as I can of all the parts that I have "That actually have arrived in the mail" Attachment 239884Attachment 239884Attachment 239888

Re: Wiring, and some proper set up. "ATC" Automatic Toll Changer Turret!

Well here is very much the CNC Controller box "Almost finished. It still need to Diagnostic lights. I designed a way to know if I have an error message.. What would be the problem! what axis.. or what is very much the problem. I have to LED outputs for the toll changer solenoid and for the limiting switch that don't allow the machine to continue with the program unless the turret is lock in to position. Attachment 240160Attachment 240162Attachment 240164

Also here is the advance on the wiring that I managed to do during the weekend.

Attachment 240166Attachment 240168

Mark, I like the conversion. Looks great. I did a conversion on one of these as well. Mine remained pretty much stock in that I could revert back with little effort. Because I used the stock screws and ways as well as spindle motor and controls, it didn't do as well as I'd hoped.
    It did produce, just not nearly as much as the second one that I built from scratch. I think the screws were the weakest link and I think you have solved that with yours. Second weakest link was the original spindle motor. Just didn't have the power needed that you would expect on a cnc lathe of any size. I solved that by going with a DC motor and control and got a DC-06 board from Homann Designs to interface with Mach 3 turn. Much nicer and much more power. I chose to go with gang tooling. My products only require 3 tools.
    I really like your turret. Nice design and I like the way it locks into place. Exactly what you want. Not an easy feat in this size machine.
    Look forward to seeing it in operation.
    I am afraid I am not going to be much help with the macro's. I don't use any to date. My gang tooling is simply set in the Mach 3 offsets and uses the standard tool tables. Dead simple.

Something on a serious note though. I urge you to do away with the soda bottle tank time bomb. Even at 45 PSI, failure could be lethal. I see that it will get close to 90 PSI at times. This is just asking for it. It will fail at some point if you continue to use it. Want to test that theory.
    Place it out in a rural field somewhere. Set up the Youtube camera. Shoot it with a BB gun with 90 PSI in it. I think it will surprise you for sure.
    On the cheap, HF has small aluminum cans designed to hold compressed air. You do not need a lot of volume, so this may work better. They may have discontinued it, however one of these might do.

I just had some compressor trouble last week. My 60 gallon has some valve trouble. Probably stuck open. I have two shops and needed another in the new shop. Bought another 60 gallon from HD.
    My powder coating rig is in the old shop and require's about 14 PSI.
    I just bought one of these to run it until and can rebuild the old 60 gallon head. I think that would be much safer.

I have seen PVC pipe that is designed to carry 600 PSI explode with only about 125 PSI. It becomes brittle with age and fails. The shrapnel even at a distance is deadly.
    Lee

I agree 100% with Leeway. Plastics and polyurethanes ,especially those that weren't designed for a specific application, when under continuous pressure will lead to fatigue. Also, the plastic or urethane, will sooner or later lose its inherent "memory" properties, that give it and keep it the shape it has when it was originally manufactured. The damage that would ensue if it would burst at 90 psi, can certainly harm you severely.
    Don't under estimate the power of compressed air.
    And further more, don't kid yourself, vacuum, can also be just as violent, if not even more dangerous.
    Please be careful. Better yet, get rid of that soda bottle.

Lee, I'm very grateful for your insight, I also think that I will change that soda bottle. have been looking for an odd shape extinguisher bottle..hopefully made of aluminum to save weight, and just for your records i have used AC and refrigerator compressor pumps very successfully in the past! Even do I have a conventional compressor! I always keep one of this sealed pump units at hand and ready to take over... In that way if I'm doing any kind of work and my air supply fails I have not reason to panic..
    In an other hand..the PVC pipes for some reason do become brittle I live in FL.. and some times in the heat of the summer the pipe joints give with out any kind of warning...I have opted to use either rubber hose or copper tubing! those ones don't explode just leak and then one make decisions of how to deal with those leaks ..

Thanks again for your help.

Mark.

RPM Sensor Update "ATC" Automatic Toll Changer Turret!

Well I spend the day yesterday manufacturing testing and installing my RPM Sensor! I just hope that it is compatible with the kind of breakout CNC Board that I have install in my set up! Here are a few pics of the work and I don't know perhaps a video.
    Attachment 240384Attachment 240386Attachment 240392
    Attachment 240388Attachment 240390Attachment 240394

I give credit and show my gratitude to this guy

Mach 3 spindle encoder? - Page 2 - Home Model Engine Machinist

Whitout His help it wouldn't have been possible to get this far! Thanks again and again.

Page 1 of 3 123