585,712 active members*
3,938 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Uncategorised CAD Discussion > Sketch not extruding properly

Sketch not extruding properly

I am having a weird problem with a file I have been working on in Design Elements.

I exported a multipart dxf and converted it into a usable file. All of the parts except one worked just fine, but the one absolutely refuses to extrude properly. When I extruded the plate only some of the holes are cut out. I have tried multiple things to solve the problem: I tried deleting and redrawing parts in the sketch. I have tried copying good objects but the duplicates don't work. I have tried separating the parts into separate sketches to no avail. I have tried analyzing the sketch and it passes. However if I draw a box around the object it renders perfectly (except it's reversed of course)

Anyone have any idea on what to check to see where the problem is?

Re: Sketch not extruding properly

It's often a good idea to upload the part file along with your question so interested users can check the file and give you a more relevant answer.

Mike

Here the part in question. Gave up trying to figure out what the issue was... I ended up just drawing the whole thing from scratch to get around the problem.

I had a quick look and didn't see any issues with the sketch but ran out of time to check further. Working with the part was very slow on my system, much slower than it should have been for an object of this complexity. Can you share the original source file?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    I had a quick look and didn't see any issues with the sketch but ran out of time to check further. Working with the part was very slow on my system, much slower than it should have been for an object of this complexity. Can you share the original source file?
    The frame bogs down on my machine as well. It's has to be all the filets in the file. As a dxf it's easy to work with and modify.

Here's the original dxf that I broke into separate files.

Played with the DXF a little and working with that was really sluggish. I noticed that my memory (12 MB) was about 90% in use so there must be something about the entities that is creating a problem. It almost seems like the fillets are made of hundreds of very small arcs, though they select fine as single fillet features. I'll play with it some more tomorrow and report back.