584,866 active members*
4,982 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Single axis tb6560 board from ebay - evaluation

Single axis tb6560 board from ebay - evaluation

Hi all, just thought I would share some thoughts and observations on the cheap single axis TB6560 driver board available on ebay and elsewhere. So why one of these:
    • Established tecnology - the TB6560 has been round a while and is geneerally reliable when used within spec.
    • Why only 1? - using single axis boards means that it is easy and quick to do a swap should a failure occur. - just have a spare or two.
    • Cost - less than $10 each including postage!

First impressions. Just got it today so unpackaged and had a good look. Board and overall component placing looks OK so I grabbed a magnifying glass for a closer look - UGHH!!!. Some of the leads on the TB6560 aren't even soldered properly! Also visible are a number of small solder dags which need removal. Overall a bit disappointing but not really that surprising at this price - all easily fixed.
    The design itself also bears mention:
    • Strait from the manufacturers application note. Even has proper isolation on inputs unlike some of the multi axis boards available
    • Onboard 5V regulator makes for convenience but limits operation to 24V NOT the 35V specified
    • No fuse or other protection for the TB6560 :tired:
    • Timing capacitor has no value written on it - may be OK but may not be
    • Heatsink is connected to ground - just be carefull.

Love to hear other people thouglts on these boards.
    Will post some ideas and solutions when I get around to it

Re: Single axis tb6560 board from ebay - evaluation

The onboard 5v regulator means the power up sequence will always violate the specs for the chip.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/steppe...ips-specs.html

It may fire up just fine 100 times, but eventually, it will smoke on power up.
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

Quote Originally Posted by James Newton View Post
    The onboard 5v regulator means the power up sequence will always violate the specs for the chip.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/steppe...ips-specs.html

It may fire up just fine 100 times, but eventually, it will smoke on power up.
    As my PSU has both 5v and 24v O/Ps my bit of a bodge workaround is to apply the 24v via a relay operated by the 5v IYKWIM.

The TB6560 has been around for a while, but it is very far from reliable in almost all the Chinese manufactured boards. They ALL suffer the same layout, lack of noise immunity, and design issues, and as James pointed out, by design they have a very specific power up/down sequence, which makes them subject to very commonly blown drivers.

And most of the ones I've seen that have isolation inputs usually are wired with this bypassed. Noise of course is another matter altogether that many, many, people have struggled to fix with these drivers.

In short, they're garbage in most instances. Even after others have done the multitude of board re-wiring to get them functional, they are still a very low powered board.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Quote Originally Posted by aarggh View Post
    The TB6560 has been around for a while, but it is very far from reliable in almost all the Chinese manufactured boards. They ALL suffer the same layout, lack of noise immunity, and design issues, and as James pointed out, by design they have a very specific power up/down sequence, which makes them subject to very commonly blown drivers.

And most of the ones I've seen that have isolation inputs usually are wired with this bypassed. Noise of course is another matter altogether that many, many, people have struggled to fix with these drivers.

In short, they're garbage in most instances. Even after others have done the multitude of board re-wiring to get them functional, they are still a very low powered board.

cheers, Ian
    I really can't say you're right or wrong, and I'm sure the module can be improved but I do know my simple work-around works for me.

I have 4 of them, all running off 12 volts driving 125 oz NEMA 23 motors. I've had no issues so far, All 4 have been running 24 hours a day for the past 3 weeks.
    You have me wondering about the power up issue though.

Quote Originally Posted by cstmwrks View Post
    I have 4 of them, all running off 12 volts driving 125 oz NEMA 23 motors. I've had no issues so far, All 4 have been running 24 hours a day for the past 3 weeks.
    You have me wondering about the power up issue though.
    4 NEMA23's all running simultaneously for over 500 hours, on a 12v PSU?

I'm assuming you must be just cycling them with gcode? 12v isn't anywhere near enough voltage for even the lowest inductance NEMA23. They would be developing barely enough torque to engrave let alone machine decently I would think?

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Quote Originally Posted by aarggh View Post
    4 NEMA23's all running simultaneously for over 500 hours, on a 12v PSU?

I'm assuming you must be just cycling them with gcode? 12v isn't anywhere near enough voltage for even the lowest inductance NEMA23. They would be developing barely enough torque to engrave let alone machine decently I would think?

cheers, Ian
    They are 3 volt, 2 amp motors that put out 125 in oz. The TB6560 gets it's pulse signal from one of the little analog signal generators off eBay. There job requires running 24 hours a day under the same load. They work better than the AC gear motors that they replaced. Better control of RPM at the touch of a potentiometer, less noise and they run WAY cooler so I suspect the total amp draw is less.

Can someone please explain me for what is the decay and current stop on the board? What they do?