585,768 active members*
3,999 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Should I get it?

Should I get it?

As a teacher, I can get Mastercam with a substantial discount. But as a hobbyist, it's still a fairly large wad of cash to justify. A little more than CamBam would cost me. Is Mastercam worth the cost and learning curve for a guy who just wants to make hobby stuff on a Chinese 3040 eBay machine?

I also get a bunch of the AudoDesk stuff for free as a teacher, including AutoCAD, Inventor and some others. Inventor comes with a free 2.5D cad add-on.

CamBam is only $175 and is pretty simple to create code from.

Any thoughts?
    Gary Shepherd
    www.16tracks.com

Re: Should I get it?

I love MasterCam and use it at work every day. I also have a 48 ×48 × 12 machine in my home shop. I got the demo cam bam but I just don't like using stl files. I bought some of the vetric programs with the router they are ok but the stl files again and no tool path strategies only a parallel tool path. I downloaded artcam from delcam, the demo version. I thinks it's a leg up on the vetric low end. The want $175 for the low end. The middle program is $2500 and they don't advertise the pro version. I would love to have MasterCam router pro but my God at the money!! Through in a seat of solidworks and you're in deep!

So I should get it then.
    Gary Shepherd
    www.16tracks.com

For that price, you can't go wrong.

Do you teach Mastercam at a college as usually the EDU dealer wants to know this before they give you a Instructor sim. I said college but you could be a teacher at a high school that offers it.if so then I would for sure get it and keep up on your skills of using for teaching.I teach it at a locale college and teach instructors at other college and help high school instructors at two schools.

good luck let us know what you did after all.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

They did ask where I teach and what I teach. I guess they were satisfied with my response because the offer was sent.
    Gary Shepherd
    www.16tracks.com

Do you teach Mastercam or any Manufacturing? just wondering. if they sent you the offer then they must be good with it.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

As a teacher, I can also get (for free) any of the AutoDesk software. They give teachers and students a 3-year license to ANY of their software. I installed Inventor Pro 2015 and the HSM Pro CAM package. I'm just about to the point now where I can draw anything I want to make in Inventor. Still need a little work on the 3d stuff but I'm getting there. Went through a tutorial on the CAM part today. Seems like it will do what I want. I suppose is should as it's another $10k program. Maybe I should skip Mastercam and just go with AutoDesk. What do you think? Does anyone else here use Inventor + HSM ?
    Gary Shepherd
    www.16tracks.com