585,914 active members*
4,055 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Shopmaster/Shoptask > Shop Task 17-20 XM TC, Vintage '93, CNC Question

Shop Task 17-20 XM TC, Vintage '93, CNC Question

I have a Shop Task 17-20 XM TC that has already been converted to CNC. With lots of help from "HelicopterJohn" we, mostly him, got the CNC portion up and running several years ago. I'm now thinking of selling it and was wondering what, as an estimate, the cost of would be for an individual to convert one to CNC. This would be a selling point in the selling advertisement. I just never had the inclination to dive in and learn G-Code and all the in's and out's of CNC-ing. I have just been using it manually "but" have no way to do threading manually. I think a stand alone lathe would be a better machine for me as I already have a stand alone Grizzly mill. She really runs sweet and hate to see her go! Thanks

Re: Shop Task 17-20 XM TC, Vintage '93, CNC Question

I find the wizards in Mach3 a good start for CNC, you can do a lot without knowing gcode, it helps but the wizards do a ton of the work for me even threading, just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by uberlinuxgeek View Post
    I find the wizards in Mach3 a good start for CNC, you can do a lot without knowing gcode, it helps but the wizards do a ton of the work for me even threading, just a thought.
    I really don't have a need for CNC just some occasion simple lathing/milling. Having a longer lathe bed and doing some threads would be a big plus for me. Yesterday I bought a Grizzly 12x36, G9729 3-In-One for cheap at an estate sale. Gotta find some change gears for it along with a steady rest and follower. Her husband died and she doesn't know where anything for it is/was. Still in the crate and he passed before he could put it together.

I've got my ShopTask on Craigslist for the past week but only some low ballers have replied. I'm thinking of just pulling the top milling portion off cause I have a stand along milling machine. It also has X & Y power feeds.

Bad picture but this is the one I just bought.

Well the ShopTask is gone and I was sorry to see her go. I just didn't have enough need for a CNC machine and was just using it manually anyhow. Now with my new Grizzly 3-In-One I have a longer center-to-center and also have the ability to cut threads should I need to. May take off the mill part so it will give me more room to access the peg board behind. I already have a Grizzly G0619 mill/drill so the mill would be redundant piece of equipment. Found 8 change gears on eBay and bought them but will need five additional gears to make it a complete set that originally came with the Grizzly. A follow rest would also be handy for the rifle barrels I like working on.