586,013 active members*
4,067 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Sherline 8760 4 axis controller

Sherline 8760 4 axis controller

Does anyone know where I can get an electronic schematic drawing of a Sherline 8760 control box.

Also, Any information as to who repairs them

ron

Re: Sherline 8760 4 axis controller

Quote Originally Posted by ramhobbies View Post
    Does anyone know where I can get an electronic schematic drawing of a Sherline 8760 control box.

Also, Any information as to who repairs them

ron
    Ron,

What is wrong with the 8760?

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

The X axis does not work. I replaced the fuse and even jumped it but it still does not work.

If I plug in a stepper motor the on/off indicator light blinks on and off. and the Y,Z and A axis do not work.

Unplug the X and everything goes back to working normal..

Ron

The X axis does not work. I replaced the fuse and even jumped it but it still does not work.

If I plug in a stepper motor the on/off indicator light blinks on and off. and the Y,Z and A axis do not work.

Ron

Have you asked Sherline? How long have you had this controller?
    Andrew Werby
    Website

I have sent several e mails to Charla at Sherline but have had no response. Since Joe Martin passed away I haven't been able to get responses to my questions in a timely manner. It's been two days now and still no reply. I don't know if Kat or Fred still work there, I no longer see an e mail address fro them..

Ron

so what happen when you swap x motor for y motor?
    -fast way to diagnose whether it is a amp or motor problem

Quote Originally Posted by ramhobbies View Post

Ron
    Ron,

Most likely the X axis SLA7044M driver I.C. is bad.

They have been discontinued by the manufacture however you can still find them on eBay.

There is also a US distributor that has a few, the price may not be very attractive though.

See attached link:

Request For Quote

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Jeff.. Thanks for your reply, You are correct, I did blow the chip, Mine use SLA7077MR chips. I have found several places on the internet that still sell them at a reasonable price so I am going to pick up a few of them for spares since I have two of these controllers. Meanwhile , I have sent the control box back to Sherline for repairs. I will keep you posted as to there diagnosis,..

Thanks again for all your help

Ron

Sherline has continued as usual despite founder Joe Martin's passing in February. As they put it:

"His trust specifies that his current management staff and experienced employees will continue to operate the Sherline factory and support its customers. Between them, Foreman Karl Rohlin, General Manager Charla Papp and Marketing Director Craig Libuse have a combined 112 years of experience working with Joe at Sherline Products. Joe’s far-sighted management of the company leaves it in very sound financial condition and with a clear direction for future product support and development. You can count on us to continue his tradition of making a high quality product here in the USA and offering the best possible customer support. Joe’s non-profit foundation supporting metalworking craftsmanship will also continue to be funded by profits from Sherline tool sales as he intended."

Fred and Kat are still on the job too. If you don't seem to be getting responses to your emails, give them a call.
    Andrew Werby
    Website