585,712 active members*
3,968 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Lathes > Setting tools on Haas Sl20 without tool setter

Setting tools on Haas Sl20 without tool setter

Good Morning,

Having now established that the tool setter is faulty on my Haas SL20 and now waiting for where I work to sort out a new one I still need to get work out. I am now getting my head around setting the tools the old fashioned way by touching on each tool in x and z, I have taken the value out of the G54 workshift setting and using the z measure function to establish my z zero. Am I right in thinking that I need to measure the face of every job now whilst keeping the G54 value at zero or is it possible to leave my geometry values as they are and put either a minus or positive value in for the G54. My first instinct tells me that I have to touch on each tool if the length of the workpiece changes.

Thanks

Re: Setting tools on Haas Sl20 without tool setter

We never have our G54 set at zero. If all your tools are set off the face of your first job then yes it would zero, but any subsequent jobs you do where you use the same tools e.g. T1 and T2 for rough and finish turning then you can just move your T1 to the face of your new job, got to the G54 offset and hit z face measure, this will move all your tools.
    If you need to add in extra tools to a job, touch them off the face of the job, hit z face measure for the tool offset then add or subtract your G54 value from this depending on where your original tools were set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another way I like is similar in that always a value in G54 (or 56,57, etc.) is setting all tools off face of chuck. Helps when adding a tool later and just have to set that tool when you load it and not trying to remember where tools set from originally. One hint I do when doing this is go to MDI and put in G59 (or whatever has a zero value) and press cycle start to load it in before setting tool(s), also do this when originally setting all tools

Setting 64 - T. Ofs Meas Uses Work
    This setting changes the way the Tool Ofset Mesur (Tool Offset Measure) key
    works. When this is On, the entered tool offset will be the measured tool offset
    plus the work coordinate offset (Z-axis). When it is Off, the tool offset equals
    the Z machine position.