585,775 active members*
4,257 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > CamWorks > Seemingly simple toolpath question giving me headaches

Seemingly simple toolpath question giving me headaches

Hey guys,

I have been using Camworks for about two years now, but its been a year since I have been using it since then as my new job did not have Camworks. None the less I have a relatively simple toolpath question that I must be missing something or have forgotten an option (as god knows there are options in option in options in Camworks). I have attached some photos to show my issue but it is more of an efficiency thing than anything. The only toolpath I can get generates a lot of air cutting as it initially cuts the sharp corners. What I am wanting to know is if there is a way to tell Camworks to only generate toolpath where it will be cutting material. (we bid this job pretty low and there's good quantity behind it so optimizing is very important. I've always like camworks for complex work but simple toolpaths have always driven me crazy in this software.

Anyhow if anyone can make any suggestions on any options I may have not chossen or a better way to go about roughing out the corners before I do the full profile I would really appreciate it.

This is the current produced toolpath
    Attachment 253752

This shows the issue as it cuts the sharp corners and works in cutting only these two small areas on the long toolpath.
    Attachment 253754

This picture shows the optimal toolpath that I would like to generate. That I edited from the original using paint.
    Attachment 253756

Thanks again for any help!
    -Daniel

Re: Seemingly simple toolpath question giving me headaches

Use a roughing tool path to rough it out, use the option for WIP leave .020" and put one contour path to finish off,

Hello Daniel,

I'd like to know a few things before I offer any input.

What material are you cutting?

What is the size of the part you are cutting? (length, width and depth)

How long is the cut shown in you first screen shot currently taking?

If you would like to send me the model, I would be willing to program the part for you to see what I come up with for total run time.

Regards,

James

Is this a contour milling operation? If so, edit the operation and select the contour tab. Click on "settings", and see what the "cut amt" is vs the "prev allowance". If the cut amt is less than the prev allowance, you'll get multiple passes. This may be desired in some cases, but obviously not now. If that's not the problem or you're not using a contour operation. post back and tell us what kind of operation you're using.

what about just putting in a confine area using a selection box ?