584,817 active members*
4,613 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Scared Handle Cranker Has PCNC 1100- HELP!!

Scared Handle Cranker Has PCNC 1100- HELP!!

I've been cranking handles since 1972- Bridgeports, lathes, all the usual stuff. I now have a PCNC1100 which I am kind of afraid to turn on. I tried a couple of the canned cycles- hole patterns. I now have a project that needs holes for D-Sub connector. In the past, I would drill some holes and free hand rough them out on the Bridgeport. The shroud of the connector would cover any roughness. I now have this impressive machine which, I assume(don't say it!!) which should be able to cut out a profile perfectly but I have no idea where to begin.
    Any help is deeply appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Dick

Re: Scared Handle Cranker Has PCNC 1100- HELP!!

If the version of Mach 3 that comes with the Tormach includes the NFS wizards this should be a no brainer for you. It has templates for some common electrical connectors built into the wizard. Some one will be along who knows for sure. Don't let the whiz bangs 1's and 0's box worry you. You can use the pendant to do anything manually that you could do "crankin' handles".

First of all welcome to the forum Dick!

I have had mine almost 3 years now, I bought new to learn the trade and to have something to do in my retirement years, I havent gotten the new worn off of it yet ha!
    I cranked handles too but only as a job shop type for what ever I needed in my business or hobby stuff etc.

Do you have CAD CAM programs yet? If so and you can draw it and cam it, it will cut it out.
    There are wizards that come with Mach 3 that are handy as well, I used the Text and the pocketing quite a bit starting out. I pretty much cad /cam everything now.

I used many scrap pieces of 2 x 4 cutoffs to practice on, and also did a lot of "air" cutting.

There are a lot of knowledgeable guys on this forum.

edit: I made this plate up for one of my friends for connectors on a cnc router project, I believe they were D-9's, it cut them exactly as shown.
    Attachment 264496
    mike sr

The first confidence building exercises are the pre-loaded ones that they walk you through in the manual. Do all of them and analyze the code. I would suggest you also get one of peter smids books and watch tormach YouTube videos.
    Congratulations and have fun
    Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by DicksFix View Post
    I've been cranking handles since 1972- Bridgeports, lathes, all the usual stuff. I now have a PCNC1100 which I am kind of afraid to turn on. I tried a couple of the canned cycles- hole patterns. I now have a project that needs holes for D-Sub connector. In the past, I would drill some holes and free hand rough them out on the Bridgeport. The shroud of the connector would cover any roughness. I now have this impressive machine which, I assume(don't say it!!) which should be able to cut out a profile perfectly but I have no idea where to begin.
    Any help is deeply appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Dick

Dick,
    Assuming you have or will buy CAD and CAM software, then don't buy the Peter Smid book yet. The info in the Tormach Manual is all you will need for starting and it is specific to the Tormach Mach3. It will enable you to understand the generated Gcode and to make minor changes when you become more experienced.

Just remember to cut air with all new programs until you gain confidence.
    Have fun,
    Bevin

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Duval View Post
    If the version of Mach 3 that comes with the Tormach includes the NFS wizards this should be a no brainer for you. It has templates for some common electrical connectors built into the wizard. Some one will be along who knows for sure. Don't let the whiz bangs 1's and 0's box worry you. You can use the pendant to do anything manually that you could do "crankin' handles".
    Maybe things have changed recently, but the NFS (NewFangled Solutions) wizards used to be extra cost add-ons for Mach3. There were some conversational wizards included with Mach3, but they were written by other users and many seemed to have "issues". The NFS wizards seemed more robust to me and the user interface was a lot more consistent than the free wizards.

Newfangled Solutions LLC - Mill Wizard

Mike

I don't own a Tormach so I wasn't sure what's included or optional with their officially supported version of Mach 3.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Maybe things have changed recently, but the NFS (NewFangled Solutions) wizards used to be extra cost add-ons for Mach3. There were some conversational wizards included with Mach3, but they were written by other users and many seemed to have "issues". The NFS wizards seemed more robust to me and the user interface was a lot more consistent than the free wizards.

Newfangled Solutions LLC - Mill Wizard

Mike
    As of a month ago when I ordered my machine, the NFS wizards are not free from Tormach. They include the demo license, however, you still have to buy the full license for anything useful. Still probably a great investment!

I just want to thank everyone who responded, lots of great tips. I'm working on it!!- and I'll let you know how I make out.
    Thanks,
    Dick

You'll be just fine. Remember, the machine will do what you tell it to do and not necessarily what you want it to do,