586,022 active members*
3,786 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > replace control on Arrow 1000?

replace control on Arrow 1000?

Hi Folks,

We have an Arrow 1000 with an A2100 control that has been lightly used in a University research machine shop, and is in very good mechanical condition. Because of space and access issues, it will cost us $10-20K in construction costs alone to replace it with something similar, so we would like to keep it running for a long time. We have back up power supplies, hard drives, etc. and have managed to keep the control going, but are increasing concerned about its longevity. We are thinking about the practically of replacing the control completely. We are not looking for a DIY project, but something commercial and turn-key. Can anyone recommend something we could look at?

thanks, ph.

Re: replace control on Arrow 1000?

Quote Originally Posted by peterhurley View Post
    Hi Folks,

We have an Arrow 1000 with an A2100 control that has been lightly used in a University research machine shop, and is in very good mechanical condition. Because of space and access issues, it will cost us $10-20K in construction costs alone to replace it with something similar, so we would like to keep it running for a long time. We have back up power supplies, hard drives, etc. and have managed to keep the control going, but are increasing concerned about its longevity. We are thinking about the practically of replacing the control completely. We are not looking for a DIY project, but something commercial and turn-key. Can anyone recommend something we could look at?

thanks, ph.
    There are a lot of folks doing DIY retrofits on machines like this and there are the usual suspects that do commercial retrofits out there. I understand that Mag Fadal has people that will retrofit your machine if you want. There is also this Numatix company that is supposed to have an advanced control system that makes the old machine even more capable than it was when new. I have no idea on pricing for any of them. There are also folks here that do it I will let them speak up for themselves. Good luck. here is a link to the Numatix company. Peace

http://www.numatix.com/

Pete

Pete,
    There is only a few things that go wrong with your machine. The hard drive crashes, but this can be upgraded to a solid state drive with no moving parts. The watch batteries on the RTC and Work Station boards die, we can replace the batteries which will last for another 10 years. We can suggest improvements that will make the machine more reliable and accurate. The cost for all of this is much less than a retrofit and and you will be very happy with the results. Look us up on the web.

Mike cncmachineservices (dot) com

I agree. The few trouble areas with these machines is no reason to be worried about replacing the entire control. Once you are familiar with the control, these machines are great to work with. Clone your hard drive once a year, get a backup AT style power supply, and as Mike mentioned - have the batteries replaced by someone who knows the proper procedure. Touch screens do fail occasionally, but you always have the mouse and keyboard as a backup. Other than that you should be good to go, and MAG/Fives Group has always been great for me at providing replacement parts and support for these Cinci's.

Siemens owns the A2100 controls and can still service and support much of the A2100 parts. Contact them at 800-879-8079 or [email protected]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk