585,712 active members*
4,191 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

reducing vibrations

hello, i am in the proces of manufacturing parts, and assembling my first machine. today, the time had come for the final assembly of the base. as i am new in this field i am having trouble of determine how i will attach the machine to my bench. it is not very heavy, so i have mounted some engine mounts on the bottom of the frame, which i will mount in a large granite base i have, and then place it on my benchtop. atleast, that is my current plan. does this sound like a good idea? is it necessary at all? ps, i posted this in the metalworking forum, as there is a benchtop undergroup, as the woodworking forum does not have such a group. i have taken some photos, which i will include:

orginal:

with attached engine mounts and supporting steel beams:

as said, this is my first cnc machine, which i have not event tried yet, so i am hoping for some good input here.

Re: reducing vibrations

The base setup is ok, but you have to add some more supports for the table top, unless you plan on adding a +20mm aluminum top to it.

But your gantry however is a very different story.
    Having only one bearing on each side of the gantry uprights will not be the most stable setup. Granted it is HIWIN style bearings and rails, which will help a bit, but it will no be the best setup.

The gantry itselv, seels to be quite flimsy in my book.
    I would probably add another profile on the back that reaches from the bottom rail profile to the top rail profile, in order to stabilize your gantry from bending under pressure when cutting.

What will you be cutting on this machine?

Re: reducing vibrations

hello, htank for your insigth. the gantry will be supported by a backplate. i can to casue it to warp by hand, as the material is quite thick:

as the leadscrew is in the way, reinforcing the table is difficult. i will use ten of these as top:

V-Slot 20 x 80mm - OpenBuilds Part Store

i also have posted a review of the machine here:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/xyz-ga...cs-router.html

i will mainly be cutting wooden signs, plastic robotic parts, and aluminium plates.