585,778 active members*
4,135 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Recommendations for laser cutting paper

Can anyone recommend types of paper (ideally available in colors) that can be cut by laser without leaving any marks (e.g. charring)? Or is it more a function of laser settings (speed, power, lens, etc.) than material? I'm a non-laser user evaluating lasers for possible project. Thanks.

Re: Recommendations for laser cutting paper

Quote Originally Posted by Involute View Post
    Can anyone recommend types of paper (ideally available in colors) that can be cut by laser without leaving any marks (e.g. charring)? Or is it more a function of laser settings (speed, power, lens, etc.) than material? I'm a non-laser user evaluating lasers for possible project. Thanks.
    Try 400 on speed and 35 on power for cutting paper.

Burnt edges are caused by combustion, which requires oxygen. To complete avoid charred edges an inert shielding gas is used. Not something easy to achieve at home.
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post
    Burnt edges are caused by combustion, which requires oxygen. To complete avoid charred edges an inert shielding gas is used. Not something easy to achieve at home.
    Involute is talking about a Co2 laser cutter machine and I don't follow about gases?

He's saying lasers cut with energy that combusts in our regular atmosphere, hence burnt edges. If you remove the oxygen but blowing an inert gas on the air assist hose, then no combustion, no charring (maybe). But its very heavy on the gas usage and therefore relatively impractical.

That said, charring on paper is minimal as it cuts so fast and even that noticability varies by colour.

Just find someone with a cutter and test it, they might do it as a favour as it would take under a minute to test.
    In case anyone is wondering, I'm the twin of the other gfacer on cnczone...

I don't think you would ever eliminate all charring on materials that burn. It's very slight on wood and cardboard and not noticeable on thin paper. If that's still a problem can you try thin sheets of plastic that melts?

If you don't have a laser, and want to see how much charring occurs stop into a craft store that sells laser cut shapes.

The shield gas idea is interesting. You would need a tank of argon and a regulator. In the end I have no idea if it would help, but it would be interesting to see what happens. Like you find that you can't cut at all...

Hello Involute, this is Nolan from ThunderLaser, hope my suggestion can help you.
    1. the laser is fire, it's impossible that can be cut by laser without leaving any marks, but you can control and try to get a good result.
    2. if the paper in colors, the marks is not very obvious, you can see some samples from our website.
    Paper - Thunderlaser
    3. and if you never use the laser cutter, there are many tutorial videos on our website, maybe it's useful to you.
    Demonstration - Thunderlaser

Quote Originally Posted by Involute View Post
    Dear Sir,

Cutting paper board is one of the best function of our Co2 laser cutting machine, you just need to setting the cutting speed and power for your requirement.

Best&Rgds
    Apple
    EETO Machinery Co., Ltd
    Office 1401, Building B3, Wanda Plaza, Economic & Technology Development Zone, Wuhan, China
    Tel:400-027-1897 Fax:027-84618501
    Mobile: +86-15527861820(Whatsapp Available)
    Web:www.eetomachinery.com
    E-Mail:[email protected]