586,024 active members*
3,622 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Ramping Problems

I always have trouble ramping into a profile cut. The machine never finishes the cut where it ramped in. The tool path looks OK on the screen and everything simulates fine. Could it be problem with my post? Has anyone else ran into this?

Thanks,

ZachF

bobcad guy Guest
    ramping in general bites. allota times in tight spaces it will drive ya crazy. also I hate when it ramps right next to the edge of the cut out. like a 3 in square, and it will ramp in like .02, or whatever the amount you left for finish, away from the wall. I actually put in a request to add pecking to the plunge option on all milling features. that would be so much better than ramping, and simple to, pecking already exists, no trial and error. it would be much better to go to mill a pocket, say 1 in deep, 4 passes, at .25 per, you would be able to pick a start point, cause there wont be any ramping, then the tool pecks down .25, and starts to mill pocket, then returns to start, pecks to -.500, and makes next pass, etc etc. that would be pretty cool. not to mention its one line of code, vs. the 200 lines of code to ramp down .25 deep, I think that would be a giant step forward for bobcad

Unless the guy forgets to use a center-cutting endmill,then you have a problem pecking.I sure would not want to peck some of the nastier alloys out there.Think pecking inconel,Titanium,nickle alloys,even 304 SS,and many more,you not going to have a good day.Matter of fact,the need to peck an endmill would be in limited situations and for sure limited materials,unless tool life is no concern.At least for me anyway.
    Ramping is absolutely the best way,most of time.You have many settings to control it.

bobcad guy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    Unless the guy forgets to use a center-cutting endmill,then you have a problem pecking.I sure would not want to peck some of the nastier alloys out there.
    excellent observations jr, but, what if the guy forgets to simulate his code after he posts it, and he actually ramped 100 inches deep instead of 1, that could be a problem too. and I didn't realize options were bad, so less options is what we want I guess. if it cant work, in every single solitary application, we don't need it, or want want it. got it .

I started machining on manual machines for many years before CNC.When you peck a piece of solid vs. ramp a piece of solid in a manual mill,you can feel and see the difference.Sure I peck starting a pocket sometimes,in aluminum.Not in steel,if can be avoided.Depending on circumstances,I either drill a start hole,or I ramp.Just depends.What you can't do on a CNC is feel what is going on.Pecking also Chatters bad.That is terrible on CarbidesMy experience tells me,since I buy the tools,ramp or drill hole for steels.Just my 2 cents.Don't be afraid of the ramp.Take some scrap and play with some of the settings.That's what I did.It is pretty amazing at what you can away with.

Re: Ramping Problems

I prefer a helix entry as opposed to ramping......much faster and smoother

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Helix entry isnt helix at all. Its just a bunch of ramps around. And generates a lot of code. Or do I need arc fit there too?

a related question for you guys, how would I go about getting Bobcad to plunge in a start hole or ramp in at a specific location. Most of the time on larger pockets I don't care to much, but on pockets where the width is slightly wider than the cutter I am using then the ramp in over runs the outside of my pocket. Getting it to use a start hole would be much cleaner, but I can't seem to get it to start in that location all the time either.

Quote Originally Posted by Malish View Post
    a related question for you guys, how would I go about getting Bobcad to plunge in a start hole or ramp in at a specific location. Most of the time on larger pockets I don't care to much, but on pockets where the width is slightly wider than the cutter I am using then the ramp in over runs the outside of my pocket. Getting it to use a start hole would be much cleaner, but I can't seem to get it to start in that location all the time either.
    You can set a plunge/start point by placing a point in the pocket where you want the plunge/start to be and then select that point in the CAM tree as the plunge/start point. If it`s a fairly simple job it`s not too hard to find the X and Y coords where the tool ends the cut and have the start and end of your toolpath in the same place so it just comes up and goes back down for the next level cut